Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuesday Tell All- School Days

Today's topic is tell about your favorite class or teacher from any period of your life. Once again, I pondered this questions the past two days. I found myself recalling classes and books, tests and projects that filled my days as a student. I have reflected on so many wonderful educators that have influenced me, opened my eyes and mind to new subjects and made my years in school so memorable and happy.

Eugene P. Bertin said, "Teaching is leaving a vestige of one self in the development of another. And surely the student is a bank where you can deposit your most precious treasures."

I know I have been the recipient of so many wondrous and valuable treasures of knowledge throughout my life. They have come from my parents, my family, my husband, my children and from many, many committed and dedicated teachers.

Two people who have deeply taught me the value education are my parents. They taught me that school was my first priority. It came before getting a job, social activities, cheer leading and all the other things that filled my time. I also knew that no matter what grade I got, if I had studied and really prepared, and had done all I could, then my best was good enough.

I never got lower than an A- through high school. I then started spring semester at BYU before I graduated from Spanish Fork high. I took an upper level family science class and the teacher was a bit kooky. When I went into the testing center to take my first exam, I got the shock of my life. When it spit out my score at the end it read C-. I just about died. I rushed over to my Dad's office in tears and told him that maybe I just wasn't cut out for BYU. My Dad put his arms around me, pulled me close and told me that it was OK and that I could handle BYU. I had done my best and it was good enough. What kind and gentle words. I had to suffer through the weekend, but my fears were erased on Monday when the professor announced the test curve which changed my C- to a B+. I ended up with an A- in the class, but I never forgot that my dad believed in me and that I was more important than any grade.

My Dad just LOVES to learn. Growing up he would tell us about all the amazing classes he took at BYU. From handball, to bowling , to the engineering calculus class he took because his original calculus class was too EASY, he has always amazed me with his love for knowledge. Now he buys college lectures on various subjects (usually history) on CD and listens to them in his car. We discussed the history of the Tudors just last night. He has a memory like a steel trap. Once it's in there, it never escapes. I can ask him questions about a class he took in college or a book he read years ago, and he still knows the answer. I pray my children are blessed with that same gift.

My mom taught me to appreciate the value of an education. She knew that getting a degree would open the world's door for me and my brothers. She was always by my side, helping me, encouraging me and fixing my punctuation. She was my ultimate English advisor and nearly wrote my first paper at BYU when I was floundering with the elements of writing. She loves to read and always has a book she is flying through. So many times when I walk upstairs I can find her on her bed reading. She also has taught me to never question my ability to learn something new. She has taught herself to tile showers, replace light fixtures, repair broken cabinets and believe in never saying 'can't'.

Thanks Mom and Dad for your example and for sharing so much of your precious knowledge with me.

And, so to the question. Which class do I favor best of all?

By now, everyone should know I have a very hard, almost impossible time narrowing things down to one measly choice. So I picked my top four. I'll try to keep my reasons brief, near short story length. Here goes.... (and in no particular order)

#1. Hula. I took this class my freshman year at BYU-Hawaii. I loved the music, the soft movements and telling a story through the dance. It gave me deep love for the Hawaiian people and their culture.

#2. Children's Literature. I took this class while I was in the elementary education program at BYU. I was teaching in the elementary school everyday and was overwhelmed by the lesson plans, observations and tests I was required to complete. This class allowed me to make time to read beautiful stories and further develop my love for children's books.

#3. Astronomy. I took this class at BYU-Hawaii. I was so excited for this class since my own dad took it when he was at BYU. I have always had a love for the night sky because of my father. He owns a wonderful telescope and I've seen so many planets, comets and stars throughout my life. When I moved away and was living on a far away island, the night sky brought me peace and comfort. I loved learning about it more in depth. Highlight: That spring (1996) the comet Hyutake graced the night sky. A friend and I traveled to a place on the beach to find a proper viewing spot with no light from cars, homes, or street lights. It was a glorious sight. The comet was far brighter than any other star or planet I had ever seen and its tail stretched across 2/3 of the sky. It was a magical thing and the only piece missing was sharing that moment with my dad.

#4. Humanities 101. This class was like living in a fantasy world. I still have the textbook and look through it. I studied great works of art, music throughout the ages, building styles, ancient artifacts and I found I had a passion for it. If I had not already chosen to pursue elementary education, I would have changed my major. There were so many aspects and I really, really loved them all. I appreciated the world more and all is kinds of people. I hope to one day take my children in person to visit the places and discover the wonders I found through humanities.

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." ~Henry Brooks Adams

6 comments:

Marcie said...

I can see where you got your amazing memory and love of learning from. What a great post.

My two favorite classes at BYU were also HUnamities 101 and Children's literature. I had Brad Wilcox and he taught it in that room filled from top to bottom with children's books. It was incredible!

Joe and Amy said...

I loved your post Cheryl, I could envision your dad putting his arms around you, he is such a kind man.

I remember that room that Marcie talks of...sooo many books.

I am with you, I LOVED my Humanities class in college. It opened my eyes to so many new things...I felt like I had traveled the world and had experienced so much culture just by sitting in that room, studying art, music, people, etc. from all ages of time and all walks of life. You've made me want to go back to school, this time not in pursuit of a degree, but just knowledge. Thanks! Amy

lacey said...

I found so much out about you just from this post. You seem to have a remarkable memory and I envy your relationship with your Dad. That was absent from life and I really appreciate good dads!

Sue said...

What a wonderful post! I would give anything for one day, for my kids to talk about me the way that you talk about your parents. What a blessing to have such great support from your parents.

Tiffany said...

What a great tribute to your parents. I loved learning which of your great characteristics came from each parent. I can see them in you.

Oh - I had the same awful experience at the BYU testing center with my first Book of Mormon test. I can't remember how bad the grade was but I remember the pit in my stomach and being devastated! What is it about those religion classes at BYU?

Wish I could've seen the comet with you -- sounds awesome!

Kristi said...

Reading your blog makes me feel like a total loser. How do you find the time to write such a well thought post with 5 little ones? I am having a hard time getting a shower every day. I need you to live close so I can learn from you. I miss you!!