Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Not very good mail.

Josh brought in the mail on Saturday. I was thrilled when I saw the package from eBay had finally arrived (replacement perfume after Kaitlyn tossed and shattered my original bottle on the bathroom tile) and as I opened the bubble wrap, my eyes scanned the pile of letters on my lap.

One caught my eye and I had an immediate sinking feeling. It had a official Kentucky stamp on the return address and for one fleeting moment, I hoped it was a reminder about our property taxes that weren't due until November, but I knew even then. I saw the name Fayette Circuit Courts on the title and all hope was erased. I tore open the envelope. My fears were confirmed, I had just been summoned for Jury Duty! Let me preface this my saying I am so grateful to be an American, but really, ME NOW? I think the song by The Byrds sums it up.

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep
To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

And this is NOT my time to be on Jury Duty. I am freaking out a bit. I just really, honestly, no doubt, without question cannot do this right now and just HAVE to get out of it. Maybe if I had a husband with a regular schedule and not gone for days at a time, maybe if I had just one family member living in the state of Kentucky to help, maybe if I had actually paid a babysitter in the last 15 months and the kids were comfortable with someone else, maybe if I didn't have 18 month old twins, or 5 kids 7 years old and under or 3 boys that need to be picked up from school at 2:30 PM, then maybe, but right now it's a definite NO.

My jury service would be for over 30 days. From October 28, 2007 to November 30, 2007. I would have to check a web site each morning to determine if I would have to go downtown. (Not very condusive to carpooling and nap time.)

I told Rich he needed to find a doctor to write me note that says this would create undue stress and mental anguish on my children and myself to complete this service. This may sound whimpy but it's true. Brynn hardly even smiles at our own mothers!

I need to write a letter and call the court and tell them my situation. If they make me appear in October, I am bringing the girls along in the double stroller, hey it's just a glimpse into my reality. If that doesn't work, during selection, I'll tell them I believe that anyone who breaks a crime should be punished by death. Maybe that would do the trick.

Anyway, I had to vent because I just really, really, really, really can't do this right now. Oh, and God Bless America!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am really feeling for you. I just had to do jury duty a few weeks ago. I was looking for every excuse I could use too. I agree that having a family member near by, would help soooo much. I am so sorry!

Sally said...

You have every reason to try and get out of this. I mean seriously and for 30 days! I was called about six months ago but it was only for two weeks and luckily I never had to go. But you still have to plan for it everyday and have somewhere to take the kiddos just in case. I am so sorry and wish I lived close enough to help you out.

Marcie said...

Wow, I can't beleive so mnay peopel have been summoned recently. You just have to tell them if they want you they get the kids too. Hope it all works out. So sorry!

Kristi said...

You need to call and tell them that jury duty would most certainly be an "undue hardship". Don't worry, there is NO WAY that they will make you do this!

jamie said...

oh no!!! i think women with children should automatically be exempted from jury dury. i'm so sorry, i say you bring all your kids with you to the first day and say "if you want me, you get all this. take it or leave it. your call!" good luck getting out of it, i'll pray for you!

lacey said...

Ryan always gets jury duty and, I will be honest, I am always SOOO jealous. I could then sit and read a book while I wait to be called! BUT, I know it is not practical. Like you, I too would HAVE to get out of it. Good luck with that one :)

Sue said...

I think all of us mom's should write a letter in your behalf and so you can show up with a stack of letters with all of us vouching for you. How in the world would this even be possible? Hopefully they will let you off the hook. I'll pray for you just in case:)

Tiffany said...

Oooohh - I feel for you. Kristi and I could come up with some good legal jargon for you to throw in with your "undue hardship" complaint. Good luck!