Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Favorite Breads!

This time of year also is wonderful for making bread. While I love all types of bread, I have never had much luck with anything that calls for yeast. If I can manage to ruin Rhodes Rolls, then I obviously have a serious problem. Thank heavens for Pillsbury's bread sticks! Pop the can, roll out and presto, a hot delicious side for dinner.

I usually stick to fruit type breads and have much better luck with them. Here are my all time favorite two.

Coconut Pecan Bread

4 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c oil
2 tsp coconut extract

Mix and add:

3 c flour
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix and add:

1 c buttermilk
1 c pecans
1 c coconut

Bake at 325 for 1 hour 2 min. Cover with glaze.

1 c sugar
1/4 c water
1 Tb butter
1 tsp coconut extract

Bring glaze to a boil and cool slightly. Brush over hot bread. Makes 2 loaves.


Pumpkin Bread

4 eggs
2 c sugar
2 c pumpkin
1 c oil

Mix and add:

2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp soda
1 Tb cinnamon

Bake 350 for 40 min. Makes 2 loaves or 1 9x13 pan.

Optional Frosting for 9x13 pan:

1 lb powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cube margarine
8 oz cream cheese

Happy baking!

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

Yummy! I've been looking for a good pumkin bread recipe! I'm totally going to try it out!

Tiffany said...

Mmmmmm -- I'll take some of that pumpkin bread! I think I try and make as many pumpkin things as I can in the fall. Let's see, we could take this far -- pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies (with cream cheese frosting of course - oh, and MILK chocolate chips (sorry Kristi)), pumpkin rolls (with cream cheese frosting), pumpkin spice ice cream from Graeter's . . . with cream cheese frosting the possibilities are endless!

Marcie said...

I'll try the pumpkin bread too, Yummy!

lacey said...

Okay, I'm taking these recipes to try too! Thank you-