Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesday Tell All- Home Sweet Home

Today's topic is to write about the road we've traveled to get where we are today.

Here is a little glimpse into the life and homes of Cheryl.

Springville, Utah: I was delivered in Provo at UVRMC by my Grandpa Nance. That is the same hospital my boys were delivered in. My first three weeks were spent with my family at my Grandpa and Grandma Nance's home before we all headed back up to Salt Lake. I am only 11 1/2 months younger than my older brother Greg and was born during my dad's second year of medical school.
Salt Lake City, Utah downtown on capital hill: Lived in the basement of my Great-great-grandpa Warner's home. His daughter my Great-grandma Beardall lived upstairs and took care of him. We had four generations living under one roof! My dad was in medical school at the U of U. Loved our walks to the capital and sitting on the massive lion statue's back.
Salt Lake City, Utah Starcrest Drive (Rose Parks): My parent's first home. Good location for my dad's commute to the U of U for residency. Moved in when neighborhood was being built, moved out BEFORE the gangs arrived and bars were put on all windows.
Salem, Utah 215 W. Apple Blossom Way: My dad set up his OB/GYN practice in Springville and delivered patients at Mountain View Hospital in Payson and at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo. Salem was a perfect fit for our family. It still does not have a stop light or a grocery store. Has the most beautiful pond and mountains I've ever seen. Truly is the 'City of Peace.'
Salem, Utah 38 W. Apple Blossom Way: Longest move of my life. 2 whole blocks! My parents built a home and it was in the Utah Valley Home Show in 1990. I loved my room in the walkout basement complete with my own bathroom and still sleep there when we go home to visit. My boys' favorite part is the Loft-the top floor devoted totally to all things toys and games.
Laie, Hawaii: Freshman year at BYU-Hawaii. Worked in the cafeteria at 5 AM and fell in love with the Hawaiian people and laid back lifestyle. When my family came out for Thanksgiving my mom told me my dorm room was claustrophobic. Had one human roommate and shared the room with lots and lots of creatures (geckos, ants, cockroaches, etc.) Luckily the rat the size of a cat (NO JOKE!) never moved in too.

Provo, Utah apartment 46 W. 700 N.: Got engaged, went to the singles ward once. Lasted three weeks in the apartment, quickly moved home. (Didn't enjoy it enough for a picture!)
Salem, Utah: Moved back home with the folks while I was engaged, going to BYU and jetting off to Palo Alto.
Stanford, California Escondido Village: Six weeks of newlywed bliss. My main job was writing out hundreds of thank you notes. It kept me busy!
Provo, Utah condo 146 W. 1230 N. #236: Great first home and in walking distance of BYU campus. Trey's came home from the hospital to this little place.
Louisville, Kentucky 4631 Shenandoah Drive : Spent six wonderful years in the 'Ville while Rich attended University of Louisville medical school and completed his intern year in general surgery. The main floor of the house was one big room so it was perfect for hosting get togethers. So many wonderful memories. My favorite part was the huge backyard. I miss it!
Lexington, Kentucky 721 Fitzroy Lane: Moved in July 2006. Rich will complete his radiology residency in June 2010. Lifesaver: finally having a storage room and basement!

7 comments:

Marcie said...

So fun to read! Your parents home in Salem is incredible.

I didn't realize you were in your Louisville house for six years, wow, time flies. It was ideal for hanging out. The kids could play in the same room we could all eat and talk. Your house is what I think of when I think of Kentucky Easters and Thanksgivings...remember those darling cornicopia's...I need to make those this year.

Joe and Amy said...

You have saved me! Thank you for that tip on my blog. That made my day!

I loved reading about your different homes. I didn't realize you and Greg were that close. WOW!

I want an upstairs totally dedicated to toys and games, how fun!

Good luck with jury duty. I cannot imagine why they would make you do it.
Love, Amy

Sue said...

Wow, you've moved around a lot. This was such a fun post to get to know you a little better. O.K., so funny the connections you make in the blogging world. I was also delivered by your Grandpa Nance at Utah Valley along with all my siblings. On top of that, two of my sisters and one niece (teenager!) have delivered their kids with your dad including my sister who is due in a couple weeks, and has an appt. with your dad next week. I called her to tell her the connection I found so she would have something to talk to your dad about while he checks her next week. Who looks forward to that? Anyway, I'm sure your dad is very familiar with some of my family members. This actually makes me a little nervous, I'm sure my niece and sister weren't the easiest of patients. However, my sister Christine Jardine is great and is delivering her number 5 in just a few weeks or possibly days. Just a fun little tid bit.

lacey said...

Hey!
You spent some time in my old hometown-where I consider myself from. Los Altos, California. I waited tables at the Pennisula Creamry in downtown Palo Alto. Were you there when How Sweet It Is was around on main street? My home ward is LA1.
As much as I loved it their- the cost of living and rat race is not for us. I hope we can find a home that we can settle in sooner than later (like your parents home). Probably later for us:)

Tiffany said...

We're so glad that we have followed similar paths that have paused here in Kentucky with you. Sooo many memories we made in your Shanandoah house -- it was the perfect gathering place. I think one of the things I remember most is your endless energy!
And that moves with you everywhere you go!

Ashlee said...

4 states! I use to want to have all my kids born in different states. After moving to KY I have decided that was a horrble idea and I'll settle for Utah or here.

Marcie said...

So glad you were able to add pictures!