Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Birthday, Brother and Baptism

Happy Birthday Trey! He sprang out of bed, was dressed and showered in 2.5 minutes and was ready to open his gifts. If only he had that much energy every morning when getting ready for school! Celebrating in the school cafeteria. Josh assists in the passing out of the treat: Hostess Scary Cakes. Gotta love Halloween for the orange frosting, Trey's favorite color.Off to Louisville for some serious party time! The Underwoods threw Trey the party I didn't. THANK YOU! They had cupcakes, ice cream and hours of fun being together.
Josh and Boston giving the Hermit Crabs some love. I hope your new pets don't drive you crazy! The girls made themselves at home!Traci and little Malory. She's a mini Zane! WELCOME JEFF! My little brother Jeff was offered an interview for medical school admission at the University of Louisville. We would love for him to move out here to the Bluegrass state next fall!I had to show off Kristi's newest project. She cut the wooden letters out herself and made the holder above. Well done! Dinner at Panera Bread minus the dudes who REFUSED to leave the Underwood's. Thanks Zane and Traci for a quiet dinner. Trey got to spend his birthday just as he wished.Big girl Anna Hamilton modeling two of Kristi's darling bows. She needs to give Kaitlyn and Brynn some pointers! I love her ringlets!
Baby Todd, I mean Kate. The boys were more than eager to show off their new swimming skills to their award winning swimmer uncle in the hotel pool.
The end of a long and happy birthday for the Trey Man, surrounded by sweet treats and your best friends. What a treat! Thanks Jeff for being such a great sport about sharing the room with your sister and 5 nieces and nephews. That is a scary combination. Thank heavens for sleeping pills!

The only part missing was Rich who was on call in Lexington. We missed you!September 27, 2007. The Interview! It was Jeff's first medical school interview. He was nervous, excited, but well prepared and ready to face the challenge. I dropped my brother Brad off in the exact same spot almost two years earlier to the day! (Brad was accepted at U of L, but decided the Medical School of Wisconsin was a better fit for him.)

It was fun to be back where we have so many great memories of Rich's 5 years at the University of Louisville medical centers. I pointed out buildings and places we would meet Rich for dinner and they could remember. I am glad they were old enough to keep those memories. Off to the Louisville Zoo. One of our favorite places to spend the afternoon. We met up with Traci, Gage and Mallory Underwood, Kristi and Kate Hamilton and Tiffany and McKay Madsen. What a treat to spend time with wonderful and dear friends. I must have enjoyed myself too much, because I forgot to snap a picture. Sorry ladies, but thanks for a wonderful morning together!
One of our other picture spots. Glad the pushing, shoving and tears that occurred while getting in place weren't evident in this shot!This one's for you Rich. The bongos are his favorite animal at the zoo. This baby girl was born in January 2007. The boys wrestled this Komodo Dragon for a ride. What bravery! It poured buckets early in the morning and the thunder sounded like bombs. Gotta love Kentucky and their serious rain storms! The rain created large puddles in the elephant enclosure and the little baby elephant delighted in splashing, rolling and playing in the muddy water. Sounds a lot like my boys!Party time! Jeff's interview at U of L went very well. We were ready for some good eating at Moe's Southwest Grill.
Nope, Jeff's not headed off on a two year mission for the LDS church. He's headed back home to Utah and his lovely new wife Sarah.

Good bye Jeff! We love you! Can't wait until you interview at UK and we can show you around our new hometown!

If we weren't quite so far down the road of living away, I would have cried taking him to the airport. After seven years of medical school and training, I have learned to love the journey no matter where the pathway leads and excited to see new faces join the trail.

My head is spinning after such a busy 24 hours! I can't say it will slow down anytime soon, but I do enjoy having lots to fill my time and it is wonderful to have lots going on for such an exciting reason: Trey's baptism on Saturday!

As for today, on the list is VT, a trip to Sam's Club for baptism goodies, a quick run to Garden Ridge (in search of a few needed Halloween items), finish cleaning the house, set up the church at 2:30 PM, soccer practice at 4:30 PM and the family starts arrive TONIGHT! So exciting. It will be a weekend to remember!

10 comments:

Kristi said...

It was so wonderful seeing you. Every time I am with you, I never cease to be amazed at your energy level. How you accomplish so much with so many distractions, aka children, I will never understand. You are my hero!

Marcie said...

What fun!

How you did a mini-vacation like that with 5 kids and a brother in tow is nothing short of miraculous...what a woman!

Loved seeing the pictures of Louisville and Kristi's latest creation....why is she not on the blogging train yet?

I am so excited for your fun, memorable weekend ahead....I miss Garden Ridge.

Sally said...

Wow Cheryl, once again I am amazed and your energy and enthusiasm! What a fun weekend with all of your friends. It makes me miss KY.

Good luck with weekend with your company. It will be fun to have family in town!

Tiffany said...

It was great to see you and the kids. They are so big -- even though I've been seeing them on this blog -- it's not quite the same as life size!

The party went well and I think was worth it . . . thanks for calling this morning. I hope you get everything done in time for this evening. I don't doubt you will! We'll see you tomorrow night!

traci said...

Thank you so much for coming and sharing your family with us. Our hermit crabs are still a highlight and the boys fed them popcorn this morning and are anxiously waiting to see it disappear. We love you guys. Traci

traci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Cheryl,
I love reading and just never take the time to comment. You are just as amazing as ever. I'm glad you kept sending me the invite to keep up with you guys. My blog is under construction currently--hopefully up and running soon. My too perfectionist side is taking over wanting it to look cute, but don't know how to do it yet--anyway, way off track. Congrats to Trey.
http://allieverwantedbyheather.blogspot.com/

Joe and Amy said...

Looks like you've had a busy week! What wonderful things to be busy with! Hope everything goes wonderfully at the baptism. I'm sure it will. Love, Amy

Barney Family said...

I can't believe that Jeff is already applying to medical school! You are a family of doctors!!! I didn't realize that Brad was in medical school in Wisconsin, Marquette??? Can you believe that we have boys old enough to be baptized! Mckay will be in June. Our boys are growing up, soon they will be in high school playing sports and going on missions--- how old will we be??? I don't even want to know! It is fun seeing pictures of your family!

Kellie

Cheryl said...

Kellie,

I agree! Our kids are getting big so fast!

Brad is in Milwaukee at the Medical College of Wisconsin. He is a second year. He really likes it, but wishes he were married!

Hope all is well!

Cheryl