Monday, September 3, 2007

LABOR Day

Today is Labor Day. It is a holiday that represents all of our hard work and effort we perform on a daily basis. It gives weary and tired workers and school children a chance to stop and relax. Somehow Rich and I don't seem to be on the list of exhausted people that get a much needed break.

So, this afternoon I looked up the meaning of the word labor. It gave 4 listings:
1. Physical or mental exertion, especially when difficult or exhausting; work.
2.Something produced by work.
3. A specific task.
4. A particular form of work or method of working: manual labor.

I realized that this is the list that I am included in. The one for residents and moms and mentions the words exertion, difficult and exhausting. I think Rich and I are celebrating Labor Day by its true meaning.

Rich was on call last night and worked non stop from 8 PM until 9:45 AM. He had three trauma alerts, endless films to read and got the unlucky task re-dictating seven studies after the computer system crashed. Happy day to you!

I slept on a bare mattress covered by our bedspread after Brynn dumped out Kaitlyn's bottle in my bed just seconds before I was going to lay them down in their cribs. I was just too tired to make another bed. I consider Brynn a bottle outlaw!

This morning after feeding the kids and getting the girls bathed, but not quite diapered in time, I watched from across the room Kaitlyn poop on the carpet and then stepped in it as I freaked out getting to her. I got to spend the next 1/2 hour scouring the tub with Soft Scrub with bleach after cleaning the carpet with a can of Spot Shot and the Hoover Carpet Cleaner. I'll have diapers in hand after their next tub time.

The fun didn't stop there. They emptied out the cupboard of pots and pans, got a hold of the wipes and yanked them out by the dozens, dumped out the toy baskets and spread items across the entire main floor. I just couldn't keep up.

Then they got hungry. I think the girls must be related to mice or ants since they can smell or find food anywhere in the house.

They found the Pringles and took them downstairs to the basement to enjoy in secret.



They gobbled up Fruity Pebbles by the handful in the kitchen and then by the front door.


And the lure of the silver Pop Tart wrapper was just too hard to ignore.



But with faces and smiles like these, who can be angry. I'll just have to wrestle, tickle and love them until they have tears of joy and then hand them a rag and we can mop together. Thank heavens for vacuums and nap time!

2 comments:

Sally said...

Good thing those girlies are so cute! I always admire your good attitude and ability to recoginize what is important!

Heather Woolley said...

Too cute! I just love that you take the time to stop and take a picture of it all while it is happening. I wish I did that more often! You capture great moments.