Saturday, September 15, 2007

Go Generals!

Saturday the boys had their first soccer game. They are playing on a YMCA 6/7 year old team named the Generals. Their coach is a lady in our ward and was Josh and Matt's coach last year. It's always comforting for them to know a few people on the team and what a great experience for them to be all together. I love that we only have to chase Brynn and Kaitlyn around during one practice. Last year they were on the same night, but one was at 5 PM and one at 7 PM and the field was even further away. We would leave the house at 4:30 PM and get home around 8:30 PM. It was the night I dreaded most each week. This season was a big jump for Josh and Matt to now have set positions and a goalie, but they are learning more about the game and having fun. They would all love to play forward all the time, but that really wouldn't be fair. The roster lists twelve players, and six can play at a time. This allows each child to play on quarter offense and quarter defense and sit for a half.
Each of the boys took a turn being goalie which was great since my little brother Rhett plays goalie for the Spanish Fork High School soccer team. Rhett is currently playing club soccer and will play for SFHS this spring. Trey and Josh were happy to try out this new position, but Matt wasn't so sure, then they gave him some gloves. He immediately had a change of heart and loved stopping the ball. After the game he ran over to me on the sidelines to show off the gloves that were still on his hands. He instructed me to find out from the coach where she bought the awesome gloves. Once I saw Rawlings on the wrist I knew I was in luck. We had an exact pair of baseball batting gloves at home.
The boys played well. Trey has speed, but was a bit winded after a few minutes of running around. The coach told Trey he needed to practice sprints at home. This was music to my ears. It gives me one more reason to turn off the PS2. Trey's response to the coach was that his dad calls him a 'couch potato.' I would have said he was addicted to TV. This is why it is so good for him to get out and run around. Josh took some great shots and played hard. He even stopped two balls while playing goalie. Matt was a great defender and got some hard kicks that moved the ball away from our goal. He was an awesome goalie too.The game ended in a tie 1-1 and the boys can't wait until their next match.

Go Generals!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I laughed out loud when I read that Trey told the coach that Rich calls him a couch potato! Glad you posted about soccer -- that's on my list of things to do tonight too!

How nice they are all on the same team. I can't imagine how awful it was last year with those practice times. Not sure if I would have done it!

jamie said...

Your post makes me so excited for walker and sports. Now granted, at the moment I only have one child to think about, so I will relish in my excitement, b/c i'm sure when the day actually arrives and i have other little tots to take care, my excitement will be quickly abated. ;)

Marcie said...

What a lifesaver that the boys can all play on the same team.
I have often wished that my boys were 18 mo apart instead of 24. It would be great to double up on things like this.