Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Favorite Soups!

I copied this idea from Sally because it really is the perfect time for making soups, though I tend to make them even in the heat of summer. I made a big pot of boiling hot clam chowder a few weeks ago and plopped it down in front of Rich. He was sweating just from looking at it. Sometimes you have to break the code and rules of food and make soup even when the temperature in the kitchen is 95, but there are no excuses today because it dropped down to a balmy 74, making it certainly "fall" enough for soup. These are my favorite two.

Cauliflower Cheese Soup

1 med head cauliflower, cut in small pieces and cooked til tender and drain.

In a pan melt 1/4 c. margarine (I use Blue Bonnet Light) and 2/3 cup onion. Cook until tender. blend in 1/2 c. flour and cook two minutes, then add 2 cans chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens. Add 2 cups half and half (I use the fat free and you can not tell), 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce and 3/4 tsp salt. Add cooked cauliflower and 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Great served in bread bowls.


Mom's Boston Clam Chowder

3 can clams (save juice)
1 bottle clam juice (sold right next to the clams)
1 c. onion finely diced
1 c celery finely diced
2 c potatoes diced
3/4 c margarine (I use light)
3/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 c half and half (I use fat free)
1 c milk
1 Tb red wine vinegar
pepper to taste

Pour all clam juice over vegetable in a saucepan and add water to barely cover. Simmer over med heat for 20 minutes (or until veg are tender). In another pan melt butter and add flour. Stir constantly. Add half and half and milk. Cook until thick. Add undrained vegetables and clams and red wine vinegar and salt. Heat. Add pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Sally said...

I can't wait to try these! I wish everyone would share their favorite soup recipe! I could live on it. Thanks for sharing.

Tiffany said...

I love your clam chowder -- it was yummy when I tasted it. I'll have to try the cauliflower soup too! Maybe I'll post my favorite soup . . . Great idea Sally

Marcie said...

I agree, however, Sally stole my favorite so we'll have to go to runner ups.

jamie said...

Your recipes look fabulous. I'm already for fall. I have never anticipated fall like this. I can't wait. I'm wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt right now. I know once walker wakes up and we go run errands i'll have to put something less warm on, but until then I'm loving my fall clothes. :) Can't wait to try your recipes. keep 'em coming!

Kristi said...

You know how much Anna and I love your cauliflower soup!