Friday, September 7, 2007

Trey, Josh and Matt's Anthem

While driving in the car today I popped in a Jack Johnson CD my brother Greg made me years ago. As I flipped through tracks, I recognized one called Might Just Let It Go. I listened to it once and then hit repeat. The second time around I understood the lyrics in the chorus. I had found my boys' anthem. A song that represents their mother and their incessant questioning of her.


The line sings, "It seems to me that maybe
It pretty much always means no."


I was laughing out loud. Trey has repeated those words to me countless times. And he's almost always right. When I say maybe, it usually ends up being a no.

I actually like the entire chorus. I am sure the boys would agree with the ending of the verse. My saying 'maybe' just keeps their hopes up a tiny bit longer, until my 'no' crashes their dreams down.

"It seems to me that maybe
It pretty much always means no
So don't tell me, you might just let it go
Often times were lazy,
it seems to stand in my way
'Cuz no one, no,
not no one likes to be let down"

(Jack Johnson
Might Just Let It Go- Track 5
Brushfire Fairytales)


When they got in the van after school I played the song for them. They LOVED it. They laughed, danced and replayed the chorus twenty times. They said if they had an iPod, they would download it. They grinned wide when I told them we had it on CD. To them that was just as good.

I'll always think of that moment when I hear that song. I'll close my eyes and remember Trey sitting in the passenger seat, eyes closed his head rocking to the beat singing key words, Josh pushing the repeat button, begging to hear it again, while Matt laughed at pulsing base from the max volume the song was blasting on. Then I'll smile and hum the song for days.

No comments: