Monday, October 22, 2007

Love is a many splendid thing....

We were driving to pick up our pizza on Friday night when the boys started discussing who they have had crushes on. Yes, my boys are 8, 6 and 6, but pretty girls are something we talk about now and then in our house. Thankfully a crush in our family means you think a girl is cute, but you certainly aren't going to talk to her because that would be far too scary. It's basically liking someone from afar. I like that kind of love for now.

Trey and Matt were giving Josh and hard time about a girl he had liked in the past and they were teasing him that he still liked her. I reminded them that she is now just his friend and then we went down the list of who they have liked in the past year. When I got to Matt and I said Madeline, he exclaimed, "Mom, Mom, I had to give it up!" "What?" I asked. "Yes, her friend Maddie told her and Madeline told me I can't like her. So I just gave it up." A few seconds passed and then Matt said, "But I secretly still have the crush."

All this made me smile.

Then Trey waxed poetic and said, "Love is a random thing." Yes Trey, it is. Well put, especially for a boy of eight.

My only question is if it's like this now, I can't begin to fathom what we have in the years ahead! Oh my!

5 comments:

Holly said...

Ok, that is the cutest thing I have heard, and it is nice to know that boys talk about love as much as girls. Sometimes I think it would be fun to fast forward another 10 years and see who they end up dating--if any of my friends kids end up with any of mine. But, then I realize what an emotional roller coaster those years were, and I am content with crushes from afar.

Heather Woolley said...

I love Trey's comment. Classic! So glad you have the blog to write things like that down, because those are things you won't always remember later. So cute.

Joe and Amy said...

Very cute!

Marcie said...

So cute that they are discussing this. In my house girls are still just some of our best playmates...I've wondered how soon that will move to another level.

lacey said...

I try not to even think about the girl crush thing... that is somewhere near the "birds and bees" talk. I remember how I felt when I learned the "real deal" and wish to spare my children the same reaction. I know I can't though. So someday. And someday, okay, they can have a crush :)