Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Tuesday Tell All: Can't Live Without It

Today's Tuesday Tell All topic is one I wrote about back in July. Since I my list of things I can't live without hasn't changed much in just three months, I thought I would re-post it, but with a few additions.
I decided to list the top four things I can't live without-of course these items all come after my MOST IMPORTANT things: Rich, Trey, Josh, Matt, Brynn and Kaitlyn- but they do make my life happier and so much easier!

Item #1: My digital camera. Here is a girl who swore she would never go digital. I just couldn't stand the way they looked when they printed up. When I was pregnant with the girls my 35 mm camera went on the blitz. I was home on bed rest and seriously started to panic. I began calling friends and family inquiring about what digital cameras they trusted. I borrowed Kristi's subscription to Consumer Reports and spent three whole days, not a few hours, but DAYS and finally decided on a camera and I've been so happy. I bought a Cannon Powershot SD450 Digital Elph. It's very small, easy to use and I've been very happy with the quality of photos taken. While I would like to say having a digital camera has saved me money since I don't have to get triple prints of my 35 mm film, it does make it easier to get great shots of the kids and print only the ones I want for their books. The downfall is that I take so many shots it's hard to choose only a few! Thank heavens for the ability to save all the pictures to a disc.

Item #2: My washer and dryer. When I think back to just two generations ago and what a daunting task the chore of laundry was, it makes me weak in the knees. I do at least three loads of laundry every single day. When we moved to Lexington we had to say good bye to our trusty stackable washer and dryer we had used since we got married. I decided to buy the same washer and dryer as my mom and have not regretted for a moment. I bought the Whirlpool Duets front loading washer and dryer. They are very efficient, fast, quiet and I couldn't live without them.

Item #3: The Internet. I think my post from my three days without Internet speaks for itself. I love how interconnected we are, how I can find anything and get any answer, and figure out how to correctly spell any word. I can send pictures to our far away families in an instant and I can get letters from my brother Kurt who is in the MTC. And I love Google, It's is my own personal servant. Love it!

Item #4: The microwave. For a wife and mother who doesn't enjoy cooking as much as I would like, this handy invention keeps my little family from dying of starvation. Can you imagine a world when the simple task of boiling water meant waiting by a stove top for ten minutes, trying to warm up leftovers equaled many dirty pans and even the possibiliy that delicious things like instant oatmeal, frozen burriots or microwave popcorn had never been invented? Glad that isn't reality. The microwave is certainly one of my favorite appliances.

Now back to my original list of my Favorite Things.

Household Items:

Spot Shot carpet cleaner. It's a miracle and has saved my carpet too many times to count.

My Hoover Steam Vac (upright carpet cleaner) This has REALLY saved my carpet and easy to use and store. You can also clean your car and rugs with it.


Mr. Clean Erasers: Will take off scuff marks or pen on walls-huge help when cleaning our house when we moved. (FYI: got an email from a friend and said these could cause a chemical burn, but I've used them for years and have never had any problems.)


Micro fiber cleaning cloths- use on glass or dusting they are amazing


My level- I can't stand crooked pictures!


Double sided hanging tape- once you use the level, stick on the back of the picture and it stays straight for good!


Dewalt Drill- best wedding gift I was given


Flowbee- laugh if you will, but this "As Seen on TV" product gives my boys great hair cuts every time.


Nexcare Bandages, Tattoo Waterproof-stay put even in the pool


Gameboy Advance: Lifesaver on road trips, airplane rides, doctor appointments or bed rest!


Crayola Color Wonder coloring sets- no more markers stains on your Sunday best and great for trips.

Potato Pearls: from the LDS church cannery- add water and you have the best mashed potatoes ever with NO pan to scrub.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray: I was introduced to this item from Rich's family when I was engaged. Not only do I love it, but the boys like me to spray it straight into their mouths. I'm not quite that infatuated with it as they are.

Beauty Items:

Cover Girl Lash Exact mascara- only $6.00 at Wal-mart and better than any Estee Lauder I've tried.


Mint Asure- gets rid of bad breath fast

Softlips: cherry flavor with spf 20- keeps those lips soft all summer long

CO Bigelow Ultra Mentha Lip Shine (dark green tube)- tastes great and gives a great shine- probably not for the boys! I also love the cinnamon flavor

Johnson & Johnson Baby lotion- it rubs in the best and smells like a baby

Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear Morning Burst facial cleanser- great smell and clean

Clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion- favorite!

In the bathroom: Bath and Body Work hand soap- I love the Creamy Coconut and the boys love the foaming pump- plus you can really tell if they washed their hands by the smell it leaves! Big Bonus!

In the kitchen: Williams-Sonoma Hand Soap and lotion- Valencia orange is my favorite and the lime smells like a Lifesaver candy.

Holiday Soaps: Bath and Body Works pumpkin spice hand soap that come in a cute pumpkin pump for Halloween and Williams-Sonoma's Spiced Chestnut for Thanksgiving and Winter Forest for Christmas.


What can't you live without?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Love all of your items. Let me tell you how much I truly love any decent washing and drying machine. Here in the UK, our small little washing machine will hold about 3-4 towels, which means I have to do small loads of laundry all of the time. Plus, I have no dryer here. I'm planning a future blog on how my guest room has turned into the laundry room. Look for it soon.

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

I'm DITTO on the
-my family
-internet
-camera
-magic erasers
-microwave
and I'd add:
-great lash mascara
-Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle face cream
-Acne Free cleanser, toner
-ponds make up remover wipes
-Bath and Body works body cream in Coconut Verbena
-my ROOMBA
-debit card
-my minivan
-my TIVO- actually that should be first- it was the first thing hooked up at the new house.

Kristi said...

I was proud of myself as I was reading this post, and not much of it was news to me. I know my Cheryl well! I will have to try your mascara though, because I have never found one that I love. One thing I couldn't live without: my friend Cheryl (and yard sales too).

jamie said...

Oh I love your list of must haves. I'm going to have to try a few of them, especially the mascara.