Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Delicious Fall Treat

Our ward Relief Society is putting together a cookbook so I went through my recipes and stumbled upon this wonderful fall dessert that I forgotten about this year. It is very tasty and perfect for all those apples you just picked at your local orchard (or bought at Wal-mart).

I made this a few days ago because once I read the recipe I started craving it! I haven't stopped eating it since. Yesterday for breakfast I had a bowl warmed up with vanilla ice cream. I didn't feel bad since the girls had some along side me. I also ate it for lunch and some for dinner. Talk about getting my daily allotment of sugar!

So, just know if you make it, you will eat and eat and eat until it is gone. Which, by the way, I'm looking forward to because I can't control myself anymore!

Apple Pie Goodie

4 c. fresh apple slices

2 c. sugar

4 Tb flour

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt

Combine and pour over apples in a 9X13 inch baking dish.


Topping

1 1/2 c. brown sugar

1 1/2 c. quick oats

1 1/2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp soda

2 sticks melted margarine

Mix and place topping over apple/sugar layer.

Bake at 375 for 40 min. or until mixture is bubbly and brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

(*When I made it this last time I only did half the recipe except kept the full amount of apples- about 5 large- and it still made PLENTY in a 9X13 dish.)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds great and I can get all of those ingredients here. What kind of apples do you use?

Cheryl said...

I have been using Gala, but I've also used Fuji in the past. Those are my favorite two kinds to eat, so I use them to bake too. I am guessing all types would work fine since they are going to be cooked and sweetened.

Also, I peel them first. If you have an apple corer peeler it's so slick. My kids broke mine, so I justed did it by hand and it worked great. I HIGHLY doubt you have a handy tool like that in England!

Enjoy!

Cheryl

Marcie said...

I am laughing because if I have a home baked goody in the house I totally eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner until it is gone. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Heather Woolley said...

Apple pie goodie is in the oven as I'm writing this (at 8:30pm). Can't wait to have it for breakfast tomorrow. I think the little ones will like it too! When they get to see they'll get THAT for breakfast, I'll win mom of the year in their minds --at least for a few hours.