Saturday, October 6, 2007

Call the doctor.....

Late one night this week I caught a glimpse of Matt 's long fingernails. It seemed like I had just cut them and now they were in dire need of a trim. You would think I could keep up on this little task, but remembering to cut fifty fingernails and fifty toenails, plus my own, is always an uphill battle. It's not that the kids fight me doing it, I just never think about it until we are walking out the door or tucking them in bed at night. Well, I figured then was as good as time as any for a quick snip, so I ran to the bathroom, rummaged through the drawer and found my trusty pair of clippers.

As I was nearing the end of Matt's clipping session, I pulled his foot closer trying to get that last little toe. Matt yanked his foot back, scolding me for hurting his 'sliver toe'. Well, that didn't sound too good. He lifted up his foot to show me underneath. I was expecting a little cut or a piece of wood at the most. But to my dismay I found neither. There in the crease were two little warts. Not good. Not good at all.

It really shouldn't have come as a surprise. We spent the entire summer at community pools and on swim team, and warts go with the territory, but it doesn't make the removal bit any easier and Matt might be the worst possible wart candidate of all. On our last trip to the doctor, I waited until the last possible second (when the nurse walked in with the syringe) to tell him that he needed just one little booster shot. He threw himself under the desk, face to the wall and screamed that he was NOT getting a shot. That lasted for a few minutes, until I finally bribed him into coming out. The wart would be even worse. You have two options freezing it or cutting it out. I don't think he would really be open to either choice. But, to me just letting a wart run its course and hoping it will just go away just isn't an option. Once I know it's there we need to get rid of it ASAP, otherwise who knows where another one will spring up next!

As I was sitting there in deep thought, I remembered about Josh's little wart on the top of his toe that I had frozen twice and not thought to check on since our return from Utah. I was sure we had gotten it with the second dose of liquid nitrogen. As my mind raced, I realized I had not seen Josh without socks in the past month. He even wore a sock just until he got in the shower. He put his socks on first when getting dressed for baseball and soccer and hadn't mentioned the wart in over a month. This added up to bad news in my mind. Josh was already asleep in bed, but I grabbed his sock covered foot from under the covers to see if I was right. I guess what they say about Mother's intuition is dead on. Not only was the wart still there, it had quadrupled in size. Oh no!

We have battled a wart on Trey's toe in the past and after three trips to the pediatrician, it finally succumbed to the freezing, filing and Compound W. I was not ready for a repeat of that headache. Now I have two kids that need medical attention. Not quite what I had been praying for. Oh, well. I still love them to pieces, warts and all. I just hope they still love me at the end of my 'death to all warts' campaign. I think bribery sounds like a good start!

6 comments:

Marcie said...

Kind of seems seasonal to be fretting about warts. Who knew, they could cause such stress.

Have you all been kissing frogs? Good luck with finding a solution that all can live with.

Ashlee said...

Oh I hate warts. As a child I too had a bit of a probelm. Once I would get rid of one another one would pop up. After many hours at the docter and going under the knife twice I am proud to announce I have been wart free for atleast 10 years probably more. It sounds like I had cnacer.

Growing up Drew's grandma would take a cloth and wipe over the wart and then bury the cloth. He said within days the wart would be gone. He also claims his grandma had some kind of indian magic in her:)

Stephanie said...

Good luck with those warts. We had a problem with them this summer too. We used the over the counter Wartner Removal System, and after two freezing sessions within 1 week, they were gone. Good Luck!!

Amanda said...

Good Luck! Warts are a nasty business. I found a wart on Kimball's finger just before we left for England. I bought what I could at the store, but they sure are stubborn things. I'm not even going to attempt anything while here in England. It sounds like you know what you're doing. Once you've got the process mastered, let us know exactly what steps to take. You'll be a blessing to the rest of us.

lacey said...

When I was little, I had a planters on my heel. My mom took me to the doctor, who treated it somehow, I passed out. I'm silly like that. But, the doctor told me I need to say at least 10 times everyday, "I hate you wart! Go Away!" He said they grow because our minds don't alert our bodies that they shouldn't be there. I said that mantra everyday. (My mom would remind me.) It did go away, with the medicine too. I like to think it was my mind powers.

Dr. Ryan thinks it's all a bunch of hooey. ;)

Joe and Amy said...

This post totally made me laugh for a number of reasons.

1. I get so overwhelmed about having another child because I think of the little things you have to remember to do for them, and clipping finger/toenails is usually at the top. So silly, I know, but I have been known to write it on the calendar. When you said 50 nails, I thought wow that's alot of nails! Especially when they are on fingers and toes that are unwilling to be touched!

2. Your Grandpa Nance "removed" our warts for us when we were kids. I swear we were there once a month getting the job done!

3. My oldest, Brynn is terrified of the doctor, shots, etc. It's more work to get her to the doctor tan the younger two. When we went to get her kindergarten immunizations, she was filled with so much anxiety that she fainted while her brother was getting his shots. She crumpled to the floor, and it turned the alraedy 3 hour appointemnt into a 4 hour fiasco.