Monday, October 29, 2007

Congratulations Boston Red Soxs!

WAY TO GO SOXS! I was so happy that Boston came away with another victory last night and swept the Colorado Rockies to win The 2007 World Series! It was so fun to have them play so well and know the curse it totally, forever broken.

My entire life I have been a baseball fan. I love the game. There is nothing like a Saturday afternoon at a ball park, enjoying being outside, visiting with friends, eating popcorn and a hot dog and watching some baseball. I played baseball as a child and loved playing catch with my dad.

I have so many wonderful memories of playing softball, but far better ones watching it as a fan. I spent months of my life at ball games throughout the years. My mom was even over the Salem Snack Shack one summer.

My brother Brad had a real gift for the game. We traveled around Utah watching him and his team and they won the UBBA state title. We even went to Anchorage, Alaska for a tournament when I was dating Rich.

In high school Brad was a great pitcher. I laugh when I think of going to the cop's house in the neighborhood and having him clock Brad's throws. I am so proud of the fact that I would at times catch for him in the backyard. Yes, I should have had a face mask and a chest protector, but I never missed any important ones that would have caused any bodily harm, so all was well.
Now back to the Soxs. We traveled up north in the spring of 2005 to visit Rich's sister Heather and her husband Kris when they lived in Boston while Kris attended Harvard Business School. I loved the city and all it had to offer. I loved the historical places, the buildings, the river, the museums, but I loved one place most of all. I finally got to visit Fenway Park. It was a magical moment. When I first saw the Citgo sign that you can always see when you watch their games on TV, my heart started to race.
I knew we were close and I felt like a little kid waiting for a big surprise to arrive. It was as beautiful as I had imagined and even trickier to find, but we parked our car (possibly illegally) and walked around the field. I was dying to get in, so we planned a tour of the field later in the week. The day arrived and I was so excited. I sported my new Boston hat I had gotten earlier and we saw it all. I loved every second. We got to go sit down on the first row and when know one was looking, I grabbed a handful of the warning track type red rocks to take home with me. They were having an very early batting practice for that night's game and when I ball was hit foul, our tour guide grabbed it and gave it to Trey. You couldn't ask for a better souvenir!
We had hoped to buy tickets to the game, but when we checked online, they were outrageous in price. And we weren't willing to pay scalpers prices at the field. We had given up home of attending. As we toured the facilities, Kris met up with us and we talked about how they often release tickets just before the game. We got in a very, very long line and waited and waited and waited. And it paid off. We got our tickets at face value and sat in the lower section (but under the overhang) just up past first base. It was something I'll never forget. Here we were with Rich's sister Heather, Kris and their baby girl Kamae and our three boys at a Boston Red Soxs game. We had hot dogs, popcorn, ice cream and cheered the entire game.And when they sang "Sweet Caroline" during the 7th inning stretch, I knew I was a true Soxs fan for life. It was one of my favorite memories ever!I am very happy that they'll get to put up a new banner next to this one with the year 2007 in bold blue.

Go Soxs!

7 comments:

Ashlee said...

Not to be a downer but I'm really excited the series is over. Everynight sense it started we have been watching the REd Sox. While I like the red Sox and baseball, it was a little much. Drew is huge Red sox fan but wished they would lost last night so the series would continue. You can't have it all.

Go Sox!

Heather Woolley said...

Thanks so much for doing this post. I was thinking of doing one last night, but this is much better than I could have done, so thank you!!! Love all the pictures!

jamie said...

I'm so happy for the Red Sox, but SO proud of the Rockies! :) They were a team that no one thought would mount to much at the start of the season and here they are in the World Series playing against the Red Sox. I wish I could have been there. I actually really do like the Red Sox, but I had to root for the Rockies on this one. Losing only 5 games out of the last 26 isn't too shabby. It's just unfortunate that the last 4 loses happened to be pretty big games. ;) Oh well, they'll be back.

Hey, Cheryl can you add me to the Tuesday tell-all? I'd love to join the fun, it's such a great way to write your personal history. It's like my own personal journal jar. :) my e-mail is jbrimhall@yahoo.com thanks!

Cheryl said...

Jamie,

I'll send Marcie the email tonight.

So happy you want to play along. It really is fun to have these different topics written down!

Cheryl

jamie said...

thanks Cheryl for adding me to the list and please know that I LOVED your post about the Red Sox. Whenever I go to Boston, I'm amazed at how loyal the fans are. The love for that team is tangible in New England. It's hard to find another fanbase that matches that loyalty. It's a beautiful thing. And I feel the same way, if the Rockies weren't playing, I would have been cheering for the Red Sox. :)

Marcie said...

Jamie- consider yourself added and welcome.

Cheryl- what a fun post. Laughing that you stole some rocks. Loving the pictures.

Cheryl said...

Thanks Marcie!

You were faster than me and didn't get an email off to you yet!

Cheryl