Saturday, October 20, 2007

Happy Fall!

Yesterday was a very blustery day which made me think of the episode of Winnie the Pooh showing all of his and his friends adventures and misadventures with the wind. Of course that thought made me think that it would be a perfect day to go to Disneyland, but alas that wasn't the case, but we had a wonderful day nonetheless.

Since it was all very fall-like and Halloween is just around the corner, we decided to pull out the boxes of Halloween costumes and have a little fashion show to see which ones still fit. Brynn wasn't too into it and barely let me put on 2 different outfits. Here we are going with the Pooh Bear theme.Kaitlyn was a good sport and wanted to try everything on. The flapper.The Wizard. Froggy. All the boys took a turn being this for Halloween.Bob the Builder (Josh wore this one year.)My favorite costume: Sully.The boys soon found their wardrobes and Matt's get up here wins for most orginial! I've never seen a Ninja Turtle/Spiderman/Pirate before. Josh is still undecided about what to be. It is a toss up between Superman (I told him he had the look down with his brown hair and blue eyes),and Batman, which he wore last year. Soon they began battling like the superheros they were dressed like. I didn't let it last for long for fear the girls and I were going to get thumped on the head.
Later I made White Chicken Chili and breadsticks for dinner. Kudos to Kristi/Marcie/Sally for passing along the recipe! Yummy.
For a treat, we made pumpkin cookies. Josh nearly ate half of the dough. The cookie recipe is from my sister in law Kate and they are wonderful. I thought I'd share it so everyone can enjoy some tasty pumpkin treats today.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
2 t. vanilla extract
10 oz. pumpkin puree (most of a can)
2 c. flour
3/4 t. baking powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Note: To make cookies lighter, substitute a portion of the butter with extra pumpkin puree!

7 comments:

Marcie said...

What fun...costume parade in the family room. What a great way to spend a blustery day.

Sally said...

What an amazing variety of costumes you have! I LOVE that Brynn is a little 2 year old fashionista! You are going to have some fun stories to tell about that one and I fear a few battles ahead of you! (the ones that I am currently dealing with)

Can't wait to try to cookies! Yummy.

Amanda said...

So much fun to try on Halloween costumes. I wish we had that luxury here. I've got one costume for Sammy, but we're struggling for Kimball.

The recipe looks great, although I haven't been able to find chocolate chips here yet. I haven't looked for pumpkin puree, but I'd imagine they have that here. I'll give them a shot sometime, with or without the chocolate chips.

lacey said...

Oh my! I can't believe how many costumes you have! I think I have like, one or maybe two. Cute pictures of you kids and I'll give the cookies a go after we eat the Costco pumpkin cheescake that was leftover-ed to us. Friends go out of town and we scored! :)

Laura F said...

I loved the costume parade! I have yet to figure out costumes this year, because my kids choose something different every day. I need a reserve like yours for them to just choose from! I thought I had them all talked into being ghosts (you know, with the holes in the sheets. ;-), but apparently now it's ninjas and Dorothy.

Heather Woolley said...

You have a great collection of Halloween costumes!! It was fun to see all the boy costumes--super heroes, ninja turtles, etc. We mostly just have girly dress after girly dress here. Jackson will have to help add variety to our costume closet now. Admittedly, I was surprised that you don't have a Harry Potter costume!! I would think you'd all be Harry Potter characters for Halloween. Oh, and I made sure I had all the ingredience for the pumpkin cookies and we are going to make them tomorrow before church. Our church starts at 2:30pm, so I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to do them. They look SOOO yummy.

Cheryl said...

Heather,

2:30 PM church? Fast Sunday's must be torture!

Love ya!