Monday, July 9, 2007

To The Great Women In My Life.

(This would have been a perfect fit for Mother's Day, but I wasn't blogging then and have been thinking about this for awhile.)

I will be the first to admit I have it easy when compared to prior generations. Who could live without microwaves, dishwashers and washing machines or epidurals? That's not a world I want to live in!

I can't fathom not having a van to get around in, a computer to get news or even shop from, cell phones that make everyone reachable, digital cameras to capture memories or a DVD player to distract the kids while we drive around town. We use airplanes to get us home, e-mail to stay in touch and DVR's to rewind the TV to see what we've missed. We use self-propelled lawn mowers, have food delivered to our homes and do online banking.

I'm a wimp. I should never complain. I have much more than even my own Mother had when my Dad was in school. I drank powdered milk for heaven sakes, my Mom worked at Beehive Clothing, our furniture was from Deseret Industries and our toy room shelves consisted of cinder blocks and plywood. My Mom never once mentioned the lack of money during those lean years. And I was happy and never went without. They took us to the zoo and had picnics at Liberty Park and ate KFC. She had a little preschool in our home. We took long bike rides and read Disney stories at night. I got the Barbie Dream House for Christmas and enjoyed homemade birthday cakes. It was a happy childhood. My Mom has taught me to work hard. She keeps a clean house and weed free yard; two things I appreciate in a home. She taught me to love to read and how to care for children. She's help me through bed rest and two sets of twins. She taught me to serve others. She (besides Rich) is my best friend.

Even during my Dad's years of schooling, my own Mom had more than her own mother had. My Grandma Larsen had 13 children. She survived without a TV for many years or car or vacations and remained 100% sane. They fit two sets of bunk beds and a crib in one room, while my mom slept on a pull out couch in the front room with her younger sister. They all worked hard cooking, cleaning, taking care of the animals and the other children. She had a full term stillborn. I can't imagine being pregnant 14 times! She never complained and never bought anything for herself or anything they couldn't afford. They never had a mortgage since my grandfather built the house and added on as their family grew. She tells stories about the gallon of cooking oil spilled on the couch, or the gallon of bleach on the carpet. I might have had a nervous breakdown from those two things alone! When people mention she has so many children, she cries and asks which one would she send back. She loves being a mother and grandmother. She sends holiday and birthday cards for the kids filled with dollar bills. She is smart and very fun to talk to on the phone. I call her each week to get family updates. She is more than a grandma, she is my friend.

Today I had 1o kids in the house, ages 8-15 months. It was loud and crazy and it was only for the afternoon. We had a wonderful time playing, but at the end of the day I could send 5 home back to their own mothers. It makes me once again in awe of my Grandmother and strengthens me each day that I can do whatever is set before me.

I could make an enormous list of the women I love and admire, that touch and inspire. My Grandma Nance was a doting and loving wife and mother. She graduated from the U of U and is an amazing seamstress and quilter. She lost a daughter before she turned one. She raised six great kids and four years ago lost her second daughter to a drunk driver. She is now 80 and getting stronger each day since she had open heart surgery in April. My Great-grandma Beardall lost her husband when her youngest was in high school. Later she lived in Salt Lake City caring for her aged parents. We later moved into the basement and had four generations living under one roof. She watched me and my brother when my Mom went to work. She is an amazing gardener and loves birds and flowers. She is alive today and will turn 97 on July 21. Rich's Mom had five young children during his Dad's general surgery residency and when he switched to orthopedic surgery and he had to repeat two of those years. She supported Rich in his basketball 100%. She moved to Brazil for three years when Rich's Dad was called to be a mission president. She is generous and came and stayed in Louisville before and after the girls were born. Grandma Hansen taught kindergarten for years and played the piano for the ballet class so Rich's Mom could take lessons. She has a gentle nature and spirit and gives compliments freely. Grandma Jackson had a baby while her husband was away during WWII. He didn't meet that son until he was two-years old. She never forgets a birthday and calls us often to hear how the children are doing. She has a special love for my twins, since she had a set of identical twins herself (one is Rich's Dad). I have grandmothers that crossed the plains, ones that came to America so they could start a new life in the LDS church. They loved and lost, but they never lost hope or faith. What women! I am proud of who I am and where I come from.

What examples I have to look to. What strong women, self-reliant and tough, yet gentle and kind. I love that I can teach my girls about them and tell them they can do anything they desire; their potential and future is unlimited.

I love you Mom and Grandmas. You make me strong and fill me with determination to live up to the legacy you have made. Thanks for the stories and examples. You have helped mold me into what I am; hopefully a Mother much like you all have been, full of resolve and courage to live each day to the fullest. Thanks for making my life better because you are part of me!

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Wow, Cheryl, what a line of amazing women you come from. It was so beautiful to read. I'm thinking this post would make a greatMother's Day booklet for Deseret book to sell next year. Seriously!

Cheryl said...

Too funny Marcie!

Dad & Mom said...

Wonderful comments. Just to let you know that we are reading. Just to let you know that you are an amazing mother. Your kids are very lucky.