Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Happy Pioneer Day and Fiesta Days Utah!

Happy Birthday Utah! I have so many fond memories of celebrating the 24th of July in Utah. You have to brave the crowds, but more importantly the heat to enjoy all the festivities, but I always have had a great time.

Spanish Fork celebrates Fiesta Days on the 24th. During our first few years in Salem, our ward had a float in the parade. I got to ride on it one year in my dance costume. I felt like such a princess and it was a dream come true.

Years later I spent summer, after summer, after summer cheering in the parade, working at the rodeo and running in the Fun Run. My younger brothers rode in the back of pickup trucks with their champions baseball teams and years later were in the parade for student council. We always seemed to know half the people in the parade. It's a great parade and brings back memories of my high school days.

After I got married we would often sit by the Swenson's on the east side of the SF library. You needed a hat to see the floats as you stared into the sun, but if you were lucky there would be a stream in the gutter and you could cool your toes in the water. One of my unique memories is when the Provo Mission missionaries walked in the parade. One of my good friends from BYU-Hawaii had been called to serve in the Provo mission and I saw him walking past. I got to run to him and snap a photo together. Even Trey has been to parade in years past.

Happy 24th of July to all and many more happy celebrations in the future!

No comments: