Wednesday, July 25, 2007

School Daze....

When did getting ready for school to begin become a month long, uphill trek? Thinking back to my youth there were exciting shopping trips to the mall and a stack of new clothes. Of course, I had to put in some serious thought about my first day of school outfit (7th grade: LA Gear high tops, acid washed jeans with ankle zippers, fluorescent pink Quiksilver shirt with matching socks and absurdly large backward C-shaped earrings- I was quite a style queen!), but I don't remember a two page list sent home from the teacher requesting everything from hand sanitizer to Expo dry erase marker- black, low odor to the two hole pencil sharpener with shaving holder. (That really was on the list!)

I thought I had so much time; all summer to get ready. But the days stream by like falling water, and I am unable to slow the flow down to a measly drip. How did we get to the end of July so quickly?

The matter wasn't help by the fact that we are going to Utah on August 3rd and will return late on Sunday August 12. The first day of school is bright and early (maybe that would be dark and early) with a start time at 7:30 AM. That would be 5:30 AM Utah time, so I really hope we don't get adjusted to mountain time during our week visit. This trip also means I have to have it all ready to go on August 3. I was running out of time! Not only did I need to get school items the boys needed eye exams and a physical. The eye exam was this afternoon and our doctor's appointment is next Thursday. Finally I was getting somewhere.

As for the supply list, I stopped by the school yesterday and got the list so I could tackle it while my boys were playing at a friends house (thank you Jonni!). I spent the next hour at Wal-mart, then headed to Sam's Club, then went to a second Wal-mart today to buy the impossible to find Dixon Ticoderoga #2 Sharpened Pencils 12 ct x 10. Last year I had to break down and purchase them from the Parent-Teacher store which is ridiculously expensive, but since I started my search early, I got lucky. I found a 24 count for $3.88, but they are black and unsharpened. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. It'll just have to be a class project for the kids to get them nice and pointy!

We now have ten boxes Kleenex tissue, three containers of Clorox wipes, three bottles of hand sanitizer, 12 large glue sticks, 10 boxes of crayons, 5 bottles of Elmer's glue, 13 2-pocket folders, six rolls of Bounty, six boxes of markers (thick and thin), three boxes of colored pencils, 5 boxes of 24 count pencils, 4 boxes of Ziploc bags (various sizes), 9 Mead composition books, 4 watercolor paint sets with brush, 2 packages of large pink erasers, 2 ultra fine black Sharpie markers, 3 clip boards, zipper pouch, wooden ruler, pencil sharpener, package of Papermate red pens, 3 packages of wide rule filler paper 200 ct., 3 pairs of Fiskars 5" blunt scissors, and 2 dry erase markers. Wonder why it took hours and three stores to find all the items?

I now get to enjoy the three weeks with the entire counter in my laundry room housing EIGHT Wal-mart bags of stuff. I don't think it's humanly possible for my boys to haul all this loot to their classroom on the first day. Throw in a backpack and lunch box and we might be hearing the phrase "I've fallen and can't get up" coming from one of my six-year-olds. We may need to borrow a wheel barrow to get it there. I'm not trying to complain. I know the items are necessary and will be used by my own children, it just took some serious effort to acquire it all and I am relived it's nearly done!

Now I am left to ponder what I am going to do everyday with only the girls left home with me? Of course I have a few ideas (think along the lines of a stroller and Gymboree) but I don't think my conscience nor bank account will allow it!

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Too funny! That is wild. Makes me wonder what Hayden's will look like, I'm guessing much smaller for 1/2 day kindergarten. I'm actually excited for it....I have a thing for school supplies, and this is my first time around.

p.s. How great is it that crayons are 20 cents a pack at Wal Mart. I think I bought like 20, just because. I can't pass up a great bargain.

Sally said...

Oh Cheryl! All of that for school? Who knew that Kentucky would have such "high standards" for school supplies.

I hope that once your boys are in school you and the girls become regular Gymboree shoppers- you deserve it!

Cheryl said...

I love Wal-mart and their great prices. I bought 3 packages of markers (78 cents each), 4 packages of color pencils (78 cents each) and 10 packages of crayons (20 cents) just for us. I too love getting stuff at such a deal. You will always use it and after a month or two the prices will go back up and they'll be $2.00 a pack!

Love it!