Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snow Day #4

Yes folks, we had our second SNOW DAY in a row today. That means now have to make up 4 days of school. The first make up is this Friday (as long as it stops snowing!). The second make up is March 7th. If they don't have any more built in snow days (teacher prep days that were supposed to be days off for the kids) we might be going to school until June! Oh well. I don't mind a surprise day off now and then. I actually like them.
The warm rain helped most of the snow and ice from yesterday melt during day. Then it started to rain again around 11 PM last night but it was only 22 degrees which made the drops freeze when they hit the lower cold air. We could hear the clink the ice made when it struck then windows as we got ready for bed. The ice eventually turned into snow creating a bad situation. The news this morning called the roads "treacherous."

This snow day might have been a blessing in disguise since the boys were up late working on homework making their "I Love to Read" hats. I should have thought about it during the day, but I didn't. Trey picked Jack Sparrow and Matt and Josh chose Harry Potter. I'll post the pictures on Friday. Matt finally crawled into bed when Rich and I did near midnight. What a nut!
Rich again took the van so we'll be hanging out here for the duration. I had planned on taking the girls to the library for story time, but that isn't going to happen. I'll just have to pick from one of our enormous stack of board books and call it good.

I REALLY hope tomorrow is all clear since it is Valentine's Day. We had a snow day on the holiday last year and I thought it was so sad not to celebrate the day with passing out treats to your friends. They let the kids pass out their candies to the class the next day, but it wasn't the same. I think I'll start praying for better weather!

9 comments:

Kristi said...

I don't know about you, but I am SICK of snow days. Heard of cabin fever?????

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

More cabin fever here too!! I hope they don't miss valentines either... that would be such a bummer- plus I'm running out of stuff to do..
I love the picture with the "ice" on the road early in the morning... I think the UT people don't understand that's why everything shuts down...

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

oh me again...
I forgot to tell you I LOVED your canvases and picture frames from you earlier post... I saved the pics and am going to use them for Mother or Fathers day this year
THANKS for sharing them

Sue said...

I'm feeling a little of your pain. Of course school in Utah rarely ever gets canceled. School hasn't been canceled yet but, church was canceled a week ago. I don't think we have to make it up though:) The buses couldn't get to our neighborhood today and everyone had to go pick up their kids from school. I'm thinking it might be a while before I see grass again. Four feet of snow has to melt in my front yard first.

Elder and Sister Swenson said...

Cheryl, We got your Valentine and the kids are getting so big and so cute. Thanks for remembering us.
We too have taken the Hinckley Challenge. What a great way to start the year! You are WAY ahead of schedule. Way to go!

lacey said...

Oh Cheryl- all your posts make me smile. It was nice to catch up...
Icy here as well. I am certain the boys across the street would have enjoyed some sledding time with your boys. I too took up the Hinckley Challenge, have found myself on my own as the only parental influence a bit too much lately, and echo the "Cabin Fever" feel a bit too.
I loved your kiss cookies- maybe tomorrow for us. Have a great Valentines Day! I was planning a fun dinner and then Ryan reminded me tonight he was working. SOOOOO, maybe pizza? :)

Shelly said...

How fun to have a day off. Up here in Rochester it takes a lot more to get the day off from school, but there have been a couple days this year when the snow and ice was just too much. We had a really bad ice storm this week and my car still has a layer of ice on it that is more than an inch thick!! It is insane.

Tiffany said...

I wish we had had a snow day today too -- we were just delayed 2 hours. I think the roads were worse this morning than yesterday morning and the snowflakes that fell this morning were more fun to play in than the slush turned ice from yesterday. I kind of enjoyed not going anywhere for a couple of days. Although I have to say that I'm glad I don't live where it stays on the ground for 4 months!

Your iced holly bush was great -- that will be a fun picture to have when you no longer have to deal with freezing rain. Glad you made it through your long solo weekend!

Marcie said...

SOOO worried that our school will be canceled tomorrow for the holiday. It is about as bad as it has ever been in Northern Utah County tonight. Glad your storm cleared out it time.