Sunday, February 10, 2008

I'm outnumbered....

Rich was on call on Friday night, slept Saturday and was on call 24 hours on Sunday. That folks means the ratio here at our house for most of the weekend was 5:1. Five busy, active, messy kids to one little old me. Those numbers to me equal chaos. But why fight it. Sometimes you just have to give in.

5:1 to me means....Renting movies from Redbox.

Since Rich would be MIA from Friday at noon until around Monday night, decide to catch up on seeing a few new flicks. Hope it entertains the kids and myself for a little bit during the weekend.

As the last disc spits out, realize you are a crazy person since you rented 5 movies at a Redbox in a Wal-mart entrance at 7:35 AM on Friday morning after you dropped your kids off at school.

Start to feel panic because you add up the run time and know you have to watch them within 36 hours so you only have to pay $5.00.

After watching 4 movies (I just could only take a few minutes of Snow Buddies) by Saturday night are certain you spent way too much of your weekend in front of a TV. Sure you worked out through 2 of them and folded laundry during a third, but promise not to rent anything else all next week.

Rich laughs when I tell him I had to watch the movies to get them back. He thinks it's funny I act like it was my job instead of my choice.

5: 1 means.... No stress over meals.

It means eating at Wendy's on Friday night, Chili's take out on Saturday night and grilled hamburgers on Sunday night. Love quick easy meals with little clean up.

It means having peanut butter kiss cookies for dinner and cereal after church.

Cringe when seeing Kaitlyn eating another fruit roll up she ripped open herself and Brynn down her 3rd pouch of fruit snacks.

And lots of empty Cheetos bags and Hershey Kisses wrappers on the floor.

5: 1 means.... Knowing I can't be everywhere at once.

Hate hearing Matt calling from downstairs- Brynn just stuck her hand in the toilet! Eww.

Knowing Katilyn pulled her diaper off and is running free.

Finding the faucet in the bathroom upstairs running for who knows how long courtesy of Brynn.

While emptying the bathroom garbage find my missing Clinique lotion under a pile of wet tissues.

Finding my entire shoe box scattered all over the floor while a happy Brynn models the perfect pair of shoes.

5:1 means.... giving up all codes of fashion.

Pull out the grey sweatpants and Stanford shirt and shower right before Rich wakes up.

Let Matt sport his Hawaiian shirt and Rich's old work out gloves while playing. It's a fierce look!

Notice all but 2 pairs of Josh's jeans have holes in the knee. Glad it doesn't matter until Monday when I'll need to search for a good pair for school and head to Wal-mart to restock his supply. Yes folks, she did wear this all day. And no, we did not exit the car.
Shocked when viewing this photo that I let my poor baby look messy and homeless for most of the afternoon and feel bad that it took a photo for me to see it.

5:1 means.... playing a bit indoors.

Finally shut down Crusader computer game after Trey has played non-stop for an undisclosed amount of time.

Watching your kids do Superman leaps in the front room onto each other's legs.

Know that an injury is soon to follow.

When asked to take it down stairs, soon hear serious laughing. See this when you head down to check it out. Yes, that is Matt in the sack. Yes, he is happy about it. And yes, Josh had to take a turn too.

5:1 means.... there is always an adventure and at times even a buried treasure.

You don't bat an eye when Matt happily declares he and Josh have been down exploring the treasure box while you were up scrubbing corn off the kitchen floor. Instantly know he means my cedar chest.Laugh when Matt grasps his new items and exclaims, "Your childhood is now OUR childhood." Loving that Kaitlyn has an interest in my old things (Strawberry Shortcake skunk circa 1984).

Happy to know that tomorrow night we'll be back strong at 5:2. Teamwork is a beautiful thing!

5 comments:

Heather Woolley said...

Loved this! I have a few great pictures of my own from yesterday that I'll have to post sometime today. I won't have the 5:1 ratio, but for me 2:1 is going to be much of the case for the next three weeks. Kris will be out of town the majority of the time. 2:1 (or 2.5:1 if you count my pregnant tummy that's starting to make itself known) is going to be enough for me. Don't know how I'd cope with a 5:1. I loved this post and the great pictures and stories. I need to remember to have your attitude a little more!!! Thanks!

Amanda said...

Well, that's real life for you! :)

That actually sounds like me just about everyday. I've decided it's better to let your kids run around wearing unmatched, dirty clothes, than changing outfit after outfit and having to do that much more laundry.

As much as I hate to put my kids in front of the TV, I find it's really the only way I can have some time by myself. I stopped feeling guilty about it when I had Addi. We do what we have to do!

Were your boys as busy and curious as your girls? My boys aren't really like that, but my nieces are and I'm wondering if it's a girl thing. I'm trying to get myself ready for that with Addi.

I don't know how you do 5:1. I guess it's all you know now, right? I think it sounds like a great weekend, and I bet your kids loved it!

Sue said...

Oh those are bad odds. I loved that you documented the craziness. I realized while I was reading your post that it was probably even more crazy, and a lot more was probably going on that didn't get documented. Like the stuff that was taking place while you were posting and you found the evidence when you were finished. Your kids are adorable even on the messy days. I'm glad that you where excited about the 2 to 5 odds again but, even that seems challenging. I'm always cheering you on. Your kids are so blessed to have you and one day they might even realize it.

Tiffany said...

oh my! i couldn't stop laughing! who knew little boys could be so creative? i love how they wrap up in the red laundry bag, or whatever it is... that is too funny. And i love brynn's outfits. she will probably be a fashion designer when she grows up!

Laura F said...

I feel like that all the time when it's 3:1 here, but I really realize it and let loose when Justin's gone for a day or two. We pull out the frozen pizzas and seriously hibernate until he gets back. The idea of it being a "vacation" was what got me through his road trips - as long we we could get things put back together again by the time he got home!