Saturday, February 16, 2008

I Love to Read Week

This week at school was I Love to Read Week. The boys did not have spelling this week (hooray!) and had activities planned for each day.

Monday they voted for thier favorite book character and spent time discussing books. Trey's homework was to read to someone they love for 20 minutes. He read comics to himself for 15 minutes and only read to Matt for 5 minutes. I guess it was better than nothing.
Tuesday (Snow Day) was supposed to be Read a Shirt day. The kids were to wear shirt that had writing on them. Here are the boys modeling the ones we had picked out. It took a good ten mintues for them to decide. The can be quite picky when it comes to clothes.
Wednesday (Snow Day) was supposed to be Hat Day. This is not your typical wear any old cap to school. You were assigned to design and create a hat your favorite character from a book would wear. That was not an easy task! Trey picked Jack Sparrow. We used a pirate hat I bought at Disneyland. Trey added the book title, author, picture of Jack and beads. Josh and Matt both picked Harry Potter after I sugested it because I knew I could make a decent wizard hat. Josh drew pictures of Harry, Ron and Herimonie and had a Gryffindor design on the back. Matt drew a picture of Harry and Draco having a wizard duel. He had a Slytherin design on the side. They all did a great job. They wore them to school on Thursday. Thursday was wear red since it was Valentine's Day. I laughed when I saw Josh and Matt's homework was to come home and read all their Valentines to a family member. Trey's homework was to create a book cover for one of his favorite books. He chose a Magic Tree House nonficiton companion book about Tsunami's. Friday was a make up snow day so they made it PJ day. The kids could bring in a pillow, slippers, stuffed animal and a good book. They had parent guest readers and the kids spent most of the day reading. The boys were excited they all had slippers that fit this year. That is one accessory my kids don't wear much.

Too bad we had to skip so many of the day due to snow, but it was a fun week overall. I am glad they are teaching the kids that it is great to love to read!

10 comments:

Holly said...

Love the hats! You have some great budding artists!

Amanda said...

How great. I love that the schools emphasize reading so much that it is fun for the kids.

How crazy that you had two snow days. That would never happen in Utah.

Fun, fun, fun!

Amanda said...

BTW- Good job on the Book of Mormon progress. You're nearly half way through. You'll definitely finish early at this rate.

kara jayne said...

What an awesome week. I want to incorporate that in my home. I'll have to think about that!

Sally said...

What a fun week! Love the hats and the creativity that came with each. So fun!

Marcie said...

What fun! My om sent us that Magic Tree house Tsunami book...we'll have to read it soon.

Tiffany said...

Great pictures! I loved reading about your Valentines celebrations. Lots of fun. We too love the mailman around Valentine's Day. The kids watch for him every day to see if he comes bearing gifts. And he always pulls through -- or should we say grandparents always pull through!

Heather said...

I love how you document all the "ordinary" days that make it all real. You will be so glad you have this! I love to see it.

Stephanie said...

Way to go on the Hickley Challenge. You will be done in no time! Love all the fun pictures too.

Sue said...

So much fun! I wish our school would do a reading week. All the hats were awesome! I love that you participated even on the snow days. I love the Tsunami book too!