Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lots of reasons to LOVE being 31 years old!

31

Thirty-one is the natural number following 30 and preceding 32. (It was just meant to be this year...)

31 is a prime number. (That means I'm in the PRIME of my life!)

= 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 The sum of five powers of 2. (Maybe this is why I am prone to having twins.)

= 5 + 5 + 5 The sum of three powers of 5. (Or why I have 5 children in THREE pregnancies!)

Two of my favorite holidays are on the 31st of the month: Halloween and New Year's Eve!

There are 31 letters in the Cyrillic (Russian) alphabet. (I should learn how to write my name in Russian.)

Thirty-one is a betting game played with cards. (I love a good game of Poker!)

In French the expression "trente et un" means someone who is well dressed. (I'm all about high fashion prancing about in my workout clothes 50% of the day!)

The number of days in the months January, March, May, July, August, October and December.

The code for international direct-dial phone calls to the Netherlands. (Who knew?)

The number of flavors of Baskin Robbins ice cream. (Need to try them all out this year!)

In Star Trek, the name of Section 31, a secret police shadow organization of the Federation. (For you Dad and Todd.)

The permanent teeth generally number 32 in all: 4 incisors, 2 canines, 4 bicuspids, and 4 (or 6, if wisdom teeth develop) molars in each jaw. BUT I had one congential missing wisdom tooth on the bottom when they were removed in high school, which means I must have only had 31 teeth!

Messier object M31, a magnitude 4.5 galaxy in the constellation Andromeda. It is also known as the Andromeda Galaxy, and is readily visible to the naked eye in a modestly dark sky. (I have seen this with mine own eyes. Amazing and beautiful!)

The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began on -1805 January 31 and ended on -489 March 31. The duration of Saros series 31 was 1316.2 years, and it contained 74 solar eclipses. (Love those eclipses!)

For the sports lovers in my life, 31 is...

The jersey number of basketball great and retired Indiana Pacer Reggie Miller.
The jersey number of famed NHL goaltender Curtis "CuJo" Joseph, who currently plays for the Phoenix Coyotes.
Is the jersey number of Baseball Hall of Famer Ferguson Jenkins and Greg Maddux.
Is the retired jersey number of Baseball Hall of Famer Dave Winfield.
The jersey number of Hall of Fame forward Shawn Marion.
The jersey number for Cleveland Browns Running Back Jamal Lewis.
The car number of NASCAR driver Jeff Burton.
The jersey number of Riverside High School great Justin Vishnesky.
The jersey number of San Diego Chargers' defensive back Antonio Cromartie.
The jersey number of Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams.

And my own personal 31 favorite reasons:

1. Rich
2. Trey
3. Josh
4. Matt
5. Brynn
6. Kaitlyn
7. Mom and Dad Nance
8. Greg and Kate
9. Michael and baby
10. Brad and Jana
11. Jeff and Sarah
12. Kurt
13. Rhett
14. Mom and Dad Jackson
15. Jenny and Andrew
16. Jacob and Ruby
17. Julianne and Charlie
18. Halle, Annie, Emma and baby
19. Heather and Kris
20. Kamae, Jackson and baby
21. Rosie
22. Danny, Brynn
23. Kalle
24. Taylor
25. Grandma Nance
26. Grandma and Grandpa Larsen
27. Grandma and Grandpa Hansen
28. Grandma Jackson
29. All the extended family
30. My dear, sweet friends from throughout my life, old and new...
31. For my life and the opportunity I have to share it with all these amazing people!!

Looks like 31 is going to be one great year!!

6 comments:

Marcie said...

Wow! What a fun and impressive list of facts.

I, personally, have LOVED 31. Cheers to a great year for you!

Laura F said...

Very cute post - but I have to know if you just knew these things, or looked them up! I'm very impressed either way - you're so creative!

Cheryl said...

If anyone knew these things off the top of their head I would consider them crazy smart and sadly I am not one of those lucky and rare people. I knew a few of the important ones (Baskin Robbins, the months and the holidays) but got a lot of help from Google/Wikipedia. Love those sites!

Heather Woolley said...

Oh Cheryl, you are a hoot! That was a great post! I'll have to remember those things in March when I join you for 31! Very Creative. I'll join you in tasting all 31 Baskin Robbins flavors too!!

lacey said...

Happy Late Birthday Cheryl! I am hitting 30 this year and will have to bounce back to this post as I breathe through a brown bag.

jamie said...

Happy Birthday (totally late!) Cheryl. I hope you had as beautiful a day as you are. :)