Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Handle with Care

I often am reminded of the precious gift of life. Some days I think I should post a sign on the fridge that reads: Life is Fragile. Handle with Care. Maybe reading this simple thought would make me change the way I act, what I filled my time with and how I treat others.

There are times in our lives when you get waves of bad news. When you are shocked how quickly ones life can be finished. It gives us just a glimpse of how little we know about how long our journey on this earth will last. Time can be our friend or enemy- it's just what we do with our minutes, seconds, and hours that we choose our side.

I thought back to when I started feeling this way. It was on December 7, 2007 when I got an unexpected early morning phone call from my mom telling me my dear sweet Great grandma Beardall has died just hours earlier. She was 97 and her health has greatly declined over the last year, but I had thought surely I would visit her over Christmas break and give her one more kiss and hug. When the holiday arrived and I drove past her house, I knew she was not longer there; I was at peace because she was in a better place.

Then time worked its magic. The passing days started to heal the wound and I carried on. I still loved her and missed her cheerful voice, but it wasn't as difficult as it had been.

Then we got hit by a tidal wave. There seemed to be shooting and fires and drownings every time I turned on the news. A father of a fellow little league player died at 48. The actor Heath Ledger's death was splashed across all the headlines and you again realized that life can be unpredictable and short. President Hinckley left us last Sunday. Rich's uncle suffered a heart attack on Saturday, but was fine. My uncle’s mother-in-law passed away on Monday. Rich was told of a kind woman in his home stake that succumbed to cancer. The list seemed to go on and on.

But through it all I saw many rays of hope, of peace. When President Hinckley died, there was a tender and sad moment, but I knew where he was. I knew he had lived an exemplary life. I knew he was reunited with his sweet wife and other family members. What a joyous occasion it must have been in heaven welcoming him home. What a joy the gospel brings, giving us that knowledge that life goes on. That families are forever.

Then just last night as I was cleaning the Hermit crabs cage I noticed Pincher was ill and I knew the end was near. I quickly picked him up and soon found my cheeks wet with tears as I was flooded with emotions that death brings. Sure this was just a little crab, but for the past 6 months I had watched him, fed him, let him crawl around the counter and I was very fond of this little creature. I immediately hoped I had taken good care of him and that its death wasn't a result of my mishandling or care.

In these last moments, my thoughts quickly turned from this tiny crab to those of my own dear children. I am taking proper care of them? Am I mishandling situations regarding homework, discipline or bed time? Am I taking the time to let them know they are loved? Just last night Matt gave me a disapproving look and told me he had been waiting, weeks, days, and years for me to play with him. How could I be so foolish to not drop whatever seemed important and rush down and spend time with my little one? How much longer will he even be interested in playing Legos and Star Wars with his mother? These are precious moments that could be lost if I do not act now.

So I'll keep trying to remember that I need to handle life with the utmost care. I only have one chance. I only get one shot. I have to make it the best. And as President Eyring said, that is all the Lord needs.

7 comments:

Jen said...

cheryl- I love once again what you wrote. I'm sorry for all of your losses, but as you said, families are forever and even mr. crab will be united again. I too, need to be better at stopping what I am doing to play and help my children. It's funny you wrote all of that because I have really been trying so hard to enjoy my kids, because they grow so fast. Sometimes, we aren't thankful for our most precious gifts until they are either grown up or gone. I don't know if I will ever master the whole "balance" thing, but thanks for your sweet words!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the great words. I guess we all need reminders to slow down. When Keenan left for kindergarten I thought, "I'm just going to play with Loie. Read books to her, sing with her, play with her." And now, 6 months later I think I've forgotten that. The rush of "Life" seems to get in the way of enjoying life.

I hope y'all are safe in the storm tonight. Our tornado sirens are going off so we brought all of the kids downstairs. We hope we don't repeat last week again. I think it should hit you in an hour or so.

lacey said...

Sweet Cheryl- thanks for sharing the inner workings of you heart. Thanks for the reminder to "slow down".

Kristi said...

You are so sweet. I did not think a hermit crab could make you cry... See how great animals are? I am sorry again about your grandma. Which uncle had a heart attack? Rich's dad's twin brother? Yikes. I am glad he is ok.

Laura F said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little crab. You're a wonderful mother and a natural caregiver, which isn't diminished by anything in this post. Instead I believe it more firmly. Take the kids out to find a new crab - maybe two! :-) Maybe I'll decorate cookies with mine today. Thanks!

Amanda said...

I had the exact same thought last night. It's times like those where you can't help but feel grateful for everything you have, especially your children. How precious they are to us and the Lord. It's humbling to know that he trusts us to take care of them and teach them. And you're right, all we can do is a little bit better each day.

Marcie said...

Thank you for the reminder!