Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Famous American Project

Whew! Another school project completed. This one was a big one. Trey had a near month to pick a famous American, write a report, make a poster, get a costume and prepare his 3-5 minute in class oral presentation. Lots to do for student and mom, especially when you start it on the last week. What great habits I'm instilling in him!

The whole thing started a bit rocky. I had spaced that Trey needed to selected a person, so after he had to pull a ticket because I didn't send in the sheet we were scrambling to come up with someone as he ran out the door for school. I scribbled Louis Pasteur on the slip thinking he could wear Rich's medical things and at the last second realized he was French. Oh my! That wouldn't do. So we quickly came up with Orville Wright- as in one of the Wright brothers. It ended up being a great selection.Trey sat by my side as we scoured the Internet for facts, found photos and then created the poster. He wrote out the information and I went over it with the Sharpie. We were quite the team. He gave his oral presentation to us at least 10 times and practiced the word "aeronautics council" over and over again. He was ready.Here Trey is with the finished product headed out the door to school. They had a parade for parents at 10:15 AM in the school foyer. We were anxious to see what the outfit looked like since we didn't do a trial run.He looked great in his pageboy cap, bow tie, sweater vest and dress pants tucked into long black socks hoping to pass for knickers.
After they passed the parents they went from class to class showing off their looks.Our cute neighbor Sam was a great Elvis and you've gotta love the boy from our ward that picked Joseph Smith! After a quick run to the little Wal-mart to kill time and grab chicken, we headed back for lunch with the gang. Trey was very happy with it all, as was I!

2 comments:

Marcie said...

He looks darling! Good Job, Mom!

Laura F said...

He looks adorable! I admit you're making me a little nervous as to what's ahead of me as my kids get older. We have a really hard time with homework as it is...