Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Blowin' in the wind...

The weather man had predicted a storm would pass through last night, but as the night wore on I was beginning to think he had been looking at the wrong doppler. The temperature still hung around 50 degrees and my hands were not freezing as typed, so thought I'd be duped by yet another inaccurate forecast. The poor meteorologists just don't have it easy here in the Ohio River Valley. It rains when it's supposed to be sunny and snows when it's supposed to be dry. I guess we are a pretty unpredictable state.

So is Mother Nature. She decided to side with the weather man later that evening. We were in the boys room kissing them goodnight, when it sounded like a freight train was headed our way. Of course this meant all 3 boys hopped out of bed and turned on the TV to check for any tornado watches. All clear- only a thunderstorm warning. No big deal, so we thought.

The wind ripped at the windows and pulled on the walls. It shook the house and for the first time in a long time I was reminded how powerful storms can be. As it wailed and whistled and howled and moaned the story of the 3 Little Pigs came to mind. The wind was saying, "Little kids, little kids, let me in !" As our house swayed back- "Not by the hair of my chimney, chin chin!" So the swirling air exclaimed, "So I'll huff, and I'll puff and I'll blow your house in!" After that didn't work it simply decided to take another route. "Bring on the hail" it shouted! The bits of ice crinkled and cracked as it bounced off the glass. But thankfully, we held tight. And somehow fell asleep.

When we awoke the storm had passed and was far from our minds, but as we headed off to school there by the side of the road was a neighbors new trampoline with side netting and all crumpled in a heap after being tossed over the fence during the storm. I could see the shock in the boys eyes of such a great loss- who doesn't love playing crack the egg on a tramp! Luckily our house didn't have the same fate as the pile of bent metal, but from now on I think I'll have a bit more sympathy for those poor pigs next time I read the story to the girls!

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Was it your trampoline that got ruined? You are so cute! I loved the "Three Little Pig" story mixed with you own. I too wish the weather men here could be a little more accurate. Hopefully we won't get another one like that for a Loooong while.

Cheryl said...

Nope. Not ours. We don't own a tramp. (I'll have to clarify that in the post!) The boys wished we owned one!

Laura F said...

I remember saint louis storms vividly, especially once we moved to o'fallon to the west of the city. You'd ALWAYS get a big wall of wind as the front moved through - it was my cue to get out and clean up the lawn of anything we didn't want wet a few minutes later. I had a lot of wind-blown hairstyles and a few toys that got wet anyway. I don't notice that as much in Utah, must be the mountains?