Friday, January 25, 2008

Tuesday Tell All: No Regrets, Just Lessons Learned‏ PART 1

I wish I would have....

Run the St. George Marathon in 1995 when I had trained hard and even had a coveted number.

Hiked to the top of Mount Timpanogos.

Been more pleasant to my parents while in high school.

Taken ballet.

Tried out for golf team in junior high and the softball team in high school.

Run cross country for at least 1 year.

Tried out for Into the Woods my senior year.

Laughed more and cried less ages 16-18.

Taken better care of my body (eating, running, cheerleading) in high school.

Knew how much I would love being a mother when I was younger.

Invested more time in practicing and playing the piano.

Learned a foreign language.

Scored a 3o on the ACT and earned a FREE car of my choosing from my dad.

Taken a sewing class in school.

Been better at reading assigned material in school.

Taken more classes in college that I was actually interested in.

Gone to the temple more often before I had kids.

Called my Grandma Beardall one more time before she passed.


I'm so glad I....

Was born to my parents.

Grew up in a home where love and praise flowed freely.

Was taught to make good choices and given opportunity to use my free agency.

Knew from an early age that I could do anything I set my mind to.

Have my five brothers.

Can say my family are my best friends.

Was baptized and confirmed by my dad at age 8.

Started snow skiing when I was 7.

Took piano lessons from a young age.

Was given the opportunity to try out a wide variety of sports as a child.

I learned to swim and love the water when I was a child.

Took a typing class my last trimester in high school.

Ran every morning (except Sunday) with my mom for over 3 years.

Moved to Hawaii as a freshman in college and figured out life there.

Attended BYU.

Met Rich at 19 so I could share in his Stanford experience.

Got married in the Salt Lake Temple to my best friend.

Gradated from BYU, becoming the first grandchild on both sides to earn a college degree.

Became a mother.

Spent nearly every Monday when Trey was a baby with my mom running errands and eating at Cafe Rio.

Worked for my dad for nearly 10 years.

Learned how to sew and crochet.

Call my grandmas every weekend.

Moved to Kentucky 7 years ago.

Worked for a brief bit teaching, so I could say I used my degree.

Found friends that can never be replaced.

Finally brought some pink to the Nance family tree.

Do not work and can stay home with my children.

Love reading.

Started a blog.

Can someday serve a mission with Rich.

Am still am madly in love with my husband after nearly 11 wonderful years of marriage.

6 comments:

Heather Woolley said...

I loved this post. You are such a good person. So many times in my day I think, "how would Cheryl do this." You are an inspiration.

Marcie said...

Love, and learned a few things about you. A car for a 30 on the ACT, HELLO!

Tiffany said...

So many things to think about! I loved all of your recent posts. I too learned some fun things about you. That's great that you ran with your mom every day (except Sun) for 3 years -- no wonder she looks so great!

I also regret that I didn't hike Mt. Timp so when you move back to Utah we'll have to plan a trip to visit you and hike Mt. Timp.

I loved all you said about agency and not having regrets. We are so blessed to be able to make our own choices each day. And, that when we make mistakes, we can move on and try and be better because of the Savior's atonement.

And I love, love, LOVE your James Christensen "Hold to the Rod". I hadn't seen it before. What a great reminder of life's priorities. I love that you have such meaningful artwork throughout your house. Those silent suggestions will certainly impact your children's testimonies in ways you might not see for many years.

Thanks for sharing such special thoughts. Like Heather said, you are an inspiration to so many of us. You always have a smile and are positive -- even at times when you have every reason to be mad or negative. Thanks for your example!

jamie said...

Thanks for your list. It was so great to read and I can feel how excited you were to write those things that you were glad you have done. Once again, you have expressed yourself perfectly. Thanks for letting us in.

Amanda said...

Isn't it funny how most of us regret the things done in high school and college. Hopefully that can help us in how we treat and teach our own children at that age.

Thanks for sharing. Just when I think I know you pretty well, I learn something new.

Ashlee said...

Ok, so your regrets were so similar to mine. I too trained for the St. Geoge Marathon, got a number but never ran it. I still get mad thinking about it. Practicing the Piano... I could have been great.

But as for hiking Mt. Timpanogos, you still can do that. I ran it right before I got married with my dad and sister. It was fast and beautiful but loved every minute of it.