Tuesday, January 1, 2008

NEW YEARS EVE!

Happy New Years! Who can believe we are already up to 2008! Where does the time go? This is one of my favorite holidays. It ranks just below Christmas and Halloween. What to do for a fabulous night? TRIPOLY! It's an instant party. My Dad starting playing with his family as a child and we have never missed a year. We have even taken chips on cruise ships and used Styrofoam bowls to hold the money. So many years of fantastic memories and many with the Swenson family. Shrimp cocktail, Debbie's pecan log, See's Chocolates, orderves, sparkling apple juice, fireworks, party hats and noise makers and some serious betting (fake chips of course!) Watch out near midnight because the blue chips start flying! Tonight we gobbled up Papa John's Pizza and the boys (with a bit of extra help from the girls) played a mean game of Twister as we waited for the clock to tick closer to 12 AM.Thank heavens the girls finally went to bed and we got to play Tripoly. Kudos to Trey playing solo. He was a poker maniac! Josh was teamed up with Rich and Matt was my partner in crime. We only played for one hour, so a full count never happened, but my guess is Rich and Josh won with their larger stack of red!I called home ten times checking in on their party's progress. It is always strange to be two hours ahead. We played Tripoly until there was only 1 minute and 30 seconds til the New Year. Rich had the TV ready and we counted down with the rest of the world (or at least the east coast!).The boys loved their exploding poppers and guns! They blasted them all within the first minute and we had a kitchen full of smoke!I'm so glad they have fallen in love with New Years Eve too!May 2008 be a wonderful year, full of health, happiness and love!

3 comments:

Heather Woolley said...

Cheryl, you are a nut! I decided to check your blog wondering if you might have already written about your New Years Eve festivities. Ah, you never disappoint. Looks like a fun party! Never played Tripoly before, I think I'd like it. It was fun to hear about your New Year traditions. Happy New Year! May 2008 Bring many wonderful things to you and your family.

Marcie said...

You are seriously the coolest mom ever. I love that picture of the boys in party gear.

I don't even think I've heard of Tripoly. I do know how impossible it is to play a board game with Alice wanted to participate.

I forgot about Twister, my boys would love that.

Happy New Year!

Sue said...

Holy Moly that's a packed vacation! Such memorable experiences. It's so great that you made time to see so many important people in your life. That's not an easy task with 5 kids. I can't imagine. I love the story about the tree and the China. It's making me feel bad that I don't keep the little ornaments that my kids make. I may think twice next year. You should totally move to Alpine it's probably the only other place I would ever consider moving. Dear Lizzie's is the best boutique ever! It was actually started by my good friends SIL. I love everything in that store! It's so fun that you enjoyed so many Utah activities while you were here. I wish I was a good enough parent to take my kids to Chuck-E-Cheese. They beg all the time and Ryan and me always tell them their closed. I know, totally mean. I'm so glad you had such a great time with many memories. I'm sure it was worth all the work.