Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tuesday Tell All: Photo Op

This weeks challenge is to sum up your day, week, or month, with one photo and give an explanation.

These two photos document what I spent most of my time doing last week.

BEFORE:

AFTER:I love having a storage room. It is wonderful to finally have a place I can stash all of holiday decorations, games, toys, food and all of life's extra bits. It's nice to have a pantry even if it's located in the basement next to the Imaginext tub. I love having our old fridge allowing me to buy extra milk and food thus cutting our trips to Wal-mart down to a few a week instead of what seemed like everyday. (Sad, I know!)

I love that I have a place for all of the toys, but it can get messy when they decide to PLAY with their toys in the room. It can get very bad when games are spilled out on the floor, weapons are hanging from the fridge door and dry spaghetti noodles have exploded after inquisitive little girls found them on a low shelf.

While there is a bit of shelving, a lot of things are stored in Rubbermaid bins and stacked in the back corner. Here is where it got a bit tricky. Up until last Halloween things were looking pretty good down there despite the usual small messes. Then I started pulling out Halloween bins, then Thanksgiving boxes and finally Christmas trees, wreaths and wrapped up Santa Clauses. It was time to start over. I dreaded the thought because I knew it would take days, especially if I had my two trusty sidekicks (aka Brynn and Kaitlyn) digging through things with me. I had finally had enough and dove in headfirst (literally at times) to tackle this huge mess.

The biggest problem was that I was going to make it 10 times worse before I saw any improvement. I pulled out everything (before photo). I went through every Rubbermaid, box and pail and thankfully found many things I sent to Good Will. I went through boxes of old photos, letters, handmade cards and spent a good hour taking a little trip down memory lane. I went through all the decorations and tossed the unused or not cute ones. I dumped out toys boxes and weapon bins making sure everything had a proper home. Matt has NO excuses now!

And three days later I finally saw a finished project. I know where the craft supplies are, the toiletries, the 1000 books I don't have room for upstairs, the extra canned tomatoes, the padded envelopes, the Easter baskets and where new lights bulbs are. It still may look like a crammed storage room, but to me it is organized and clutter free instead of one blown up mystery room full of this and that. I am one happy girl!

8 comments:

Laura F said...

Way to go! That's a BIG job!!! I'm about to the pint with our storage that I'd rather just buy new clothes for each child than sort, store and pass them down. Things just get so out of control in storage so quickly!

Sally said...

LOVE the photos! It is a perfect description/documentation of your week and must make you feel good to look at. I am envious of your storage space!

jamie said...

I'm impressed! that took some serious dedication to organize that room. That's awesome you have a before and after photo. great post! I too am very envious of your storage space. Our house has zero storage. oh well.

Kristi said...

Your photo made me laugh, the before one is what my basement looks like right now (at least my craft section does - Todd organized the rest). I am proud of you! How you manage to organize your home with 5 little ones in destruction mode trolling around is a miracle to me! You are my hero!

Sue said...

That is a great feeling! I'm glad you posted this because, I just did the same thing to my storage room and was down on myself thinking... no one else but me had messes like this to deal with. I swear it does start at Halloween and gets crazy until you pause in January to get reorganized. I think it's just part of the fun holiday season.

Joe and Amy said...

Way to go! I am seriously impressed. It's hard accomomplishing huge tasks like that with little ones, but you did it! Nice job!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

WOW! That is a great job, do you wanna come here next LOL!... I look at rooms like that at my house and just get overwhelemed and don't start. We have an unfinished basement that is our dumping ground for everything right now... come spring we are going to have to clean it out.

Jen said...

Cheryl! You make me laugh and cry more than anyone I know right now! That picture reminds me of good times at your house in Kentucky and your good old bedroom closets!!! That's when I knew I really loved you because you hilariously shared that with me w/out caring what I thought and I had a few of those of my own! I love all of your posts!!