Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

We listen to a prophet's voice and hear the Savior too.
With love he bids us do the work the Lord would have us do.
The Savior calls his chosen seer to preach the word of God,
That men might learn to find the path marked by the iron rod.

In ev'ry land in ev'ry tongue , our prophet will be heard;
How swiftly round the world his voice reveals the gospel word!
The sacred message that he brings will witness and agree
With ev'ry prophet called of God throughout earth's history.

Hosanna! Let our priase ascend unto the Savior's throne;
Rejoice! The prophet has confirmed that by Him we are known.
Attend, ye earth! The prophet speaks; come listen and obey.
He is the man who holds the keys of priesthood pow'r today.

-Marylou Cunningham Leavitt We Listen to a Prophet's Voice (Hymn #22)

What a surprise to get a phone call last night from Rich's brother Danny informing us that President Hinckley had passed away earlier that evening. It is always a shock when someone dies, but what a peace filled my soul as I thought of our beloved Prophet. He was a remarkable man who lived a Christlike life, exuding love to all, professing the Word of God, giving praise and encouraging us all to do a little bit better each day.

I clearly remember when President Spencer W. Kimball died when I was in third grade. I was saddened by the loss of such a great man. It was the first time in my life I understood how new prophets were called when President Benson was sustained.

I was a senior in high school when President Hinckley was sustained as president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I remember sitting in seminary watching the live press conference with him, President Monson and President Faust by his side. He was always honest, witty and very candid. He was someone you were drawn to and loved.

And just a few months ago, when the beloved President James E. Faust passed on, he called President Henry B. Eyring to be his new counselor. President Hinckley was still in good health, and I believe we would certainly get to hear his message at General Conference in April 2008.

Over the years he has put the church in the spotlight doing very highly publicized interviews, news articles and traveling across the globe. When Rich and I were dating there was a huge article in Time magazine. He was interview by Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes and appeared on Larry King 4 times.

In September 1995 President Hinckley read The Family: A Proclamation to the World during the General Relief Society meeting. This powerful declaration hangs on my entryway wall letting everyone who enters my home, know what we believe. Its words and message have touched my soul and I know of its truthfulness. It is a tool I can use in my life and to teach my children. I used it in my young women lesson just yesterday.

In 1998 President Hinckley announced a massive temple building effort and declared we would have 100 temples by 2000. He dedicated Boston temple in the fall of 2000 marking the 100th temple on the earth. There are now 124 working temples and I have benefited from this effort when the Louisville Temple was dedicated on March 19, 2000 making it possible for me to attend the temple regularly while I have lived in Kentucky. For six wonderful years our ward building shared a parking lot with the temple. Each time we traveled to church for any reason, I could see a house of the Lord. What a blessing!

I have been blessed to be in the Prophets presence a few times in my life. In 1996 while attending BYU Hawaii President Hinckley visited the campus with his wife Marjorie and gave a devotional to the students. As we waited in line for a seat, we watched him enter the building on a golf cart with Hawaiian leis around his neck. I don't remember the exact words he shared that day, but I remember how I felt, how the spirit burned in my heart and I knew that this was a Prophet of God. While at BYU I attended a devotional at the Marriott Center in which he spoke and again was filled with the spirit testifying to me that he was a true and living Prophet.

I loved watching his 90th birthday celebration in July of 2000. Some of Rich's family were able to attend the meeting held in the Conference Center, which had been dedicated just three months before. I loved hearing President Hinckley share the story of the new pulpit in General Conference (April 2000). He related that a black walnut tree that he had planted decades earlier in his backyard provided wood for the pulpit of the new center.Every time I watch conference and see the lovely pulpit, I will think of him.


In June 2002, while home in Utah visiting family I was able to watch and participate in the Nauvoo temple dedication via satellite. I remember how moved I was by the President Hinckley's words. How blessed we are to have a prophet on earth and have temples across the land.

In December 2005, I loved watching the broadcast of President Hinckley from Vermont commemorating the prophet Joseph Smith's 200th birthday. I looked forward to the First Presidency Christmas devotional each year. It is a highlight in the busy holiday season and reminds us of the true meaning of the season.

Over the years I have loved all of the messages he has shared in General Conference. I love his "B's". I loved his talk about the frozen turkey and how we should love and forgive others. How he loved talking about Joseph Smith. I am sure he has more insight, love, respect, understanding and appreciation for the prophet than any of us can know. I loved how he admired and honored the pioneers. I loved how he created the Church Perpetual Education Fund helping returned missionaries throughout the world. I loved how he would always praise church members and then give us a little nudge forward to work a little harder, stand a little taller, be a little better.

He just wanted us to keep the faith, to keep moving forward. He said, "It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

I simply loved this man and my heart is saddened by his passing.

While Rich talked to Danny last night I called home and told my mom the news. She said how his son Elder Richard Hinckley of the Seventy came to the MTC just last week and shared a message from his father with the elders and sisters. President Hinckley told him to tell them to retain those they baptize. While I am not a full time missionary, his message to me means I should fellowship new members and women I visiting teach and try to share the gospel with others. Like always, they are words to live by.

I also am so grateful to know that soon we will sustain President Thomas S. Monson as our prophet, seer and revelator. He too is an amazing man and I look foward to supporting and loving him and his counselors over the coming years. We have such humble, good apostles and I know the work will move forward as it always does.

It is strange to turn on the TV and Internet today and see life go on as usual. There are no big news stories splashed on the front page announcing President Hinckley's passing. How sad the world doesn't realize the loss of this wonderful man, a man of God, God's mouth piece on Earth. How blessed we are to have known of his love, goodness and testimony.

We thank thee, O God, for a prophet to guide us in these latter days.
We thank thee for sending the gospel to lighten our minds with its rays.
We thank thee for every blessing bestowed by thy bounteous hand.
We feel it a pleasure to serve thee, and love to obey thy command.

-William Fowler We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet (Hymn #19)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Well said. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. He truly was an amazing man.

Jen said...

I am right there with you Cheryl! I love him so so much, and will miss him greatly! He was always a little piece of heaven on earth for me. Thanks for your thoughts!

Joe and Amy said...

Wonderful tribute! Thanks Cheryl.

...and I am tired of hearing about Heath Ledger, I was hoping this would give the media something better to talk about....I was disappointed.

Laura F said...

Wonderful post, Cheryl! You do an amazing job with this - your tribute is so complete, and so personal at the same time. I admit I haven't thought about it much, and I must be the only member in the world who hasn't...but your post made me consider some of the ways his life has changed my own, as well. Thanks!