Sunday, January 13, 2008

Lullaby Sing Along

I am one of those very, very rare people who has NEVER seen High School Musical. I have 3 boys and my girls are too young to know about all the hysteria. I am sure it will be in my future, but just not quite yet.
While I was up visiting Brad in Milwaukee in October, High School Musical 2 came out and Rich and boys watched it and recorded it on the DVR. Still, I had only viewed the last few minutes of the show later on.

Josh had a strange 5 hour bout of throwing up after school last week (threw up twice and was fine in between and after). Not wanting to contaminate the class if he was still contagious, he was condemned to stay home until after lunch, even if he was showered and dressed by 7:15 AM, downed 3 Eggo waffles and was begging to go.

As we waited for the clock to tick to noon so we could drive him to school, he turned on the TV, something that rarely happens if I'm not on the exercise bike. He flipped on HSM2 and we watched the last bit. I had heard a few of the HSM songs from my brothers Ipod's, so I'm not completely ignorant about the whole thing, but after seeing the movie I was stuck humming the songs all day. Not a bad thing, but I only know a few so it gets very repetitive.

Fast forward nine hours to when we are putting the girls down to bed. Kaitlyn almost always is more than willing to get in bed, snuggles in and waves good bye when I turn off the light. Brynn's not quite as nice. She runs away, screams until she's hysterical, practically runs into walls avoiding capture and more than once has made us panic that she is going to dive head first out of the crib as we walk out the door.

Kaitlyn was happily sucking her thumb in bed, while Brynn was hyperventilating, so I thought I would rock her for a few minutes, delaying the inevitable freak out that comes no matter how long you love her before you kiss her good night.

I cuddled her on my lap as I rocked her in the chair singing songs softly to her. I usually start out with Wicked (Changed for Good), then hum Lead Kindly Light once or twice (for the life of me I can't remember the 2nd and 3rd verse no matter how hard I try), but soon I was humming What I've been Looking For from High School Musical. Like I said, I had been humming some song from HSM and HSM2 all day.

Brynn's breathing was even and she was soft and warm next to my body and I knew I had almost won my nightly battle. As I lightly sang "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo DooDo Do Woa-ah-ah-oh." I suddenly heard a strong little voice repeat "Doo Doo Doo." Followed by "La La La Doo Doo Doo." Nope, victory was not in sight. Instead I got a surprise little duet with my baby girl, in a dark room, on a cold late night, in January.

Perfect.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I too have never seen High School Musical, and I know nothing about it. I only recognize one of the girls in it because she was on "Dancing with the Stars". I don't care to see it, but if the music is good, I could give it a shot.

Heather said...

THis is so sweet. And one of the things I love about having a girl is she likes music/dancing/movies is a whole different way than the boys. I will say, my boys love HSM (the first is by far the best). We have both CD's and the Wii game and everybody knows all the words.

Marcie said...

I having been feeling like I should get on the HSM bandwagon since it seems like "everyone is doing it". I'll have to give in and check it out.

Laura F said...

Ive never seen it, either, Cheryl. But I admit to being intrigued a little when the first one came out and Mick was enamored by it. And I think he was a Senior in high school! The duet is so cute.