Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans' Day

Today is Veterans' Day, a day when we can honor those men and women who have so courageously served our country in the armed forces. Who often have left behind loved ones for months and even years at a time to fight for freedom throughout the world and some have given the ultimate sacrifice, their lives in the cause.

Three of our grandfathers fought in WWII. My mom's father was a merchant marine, my dad's father was in the army and would have stormed the beach in Japan had the atomic bomb not been dropped and the war ended. Rich's dad's father served for years in Europe as a medical doctor and did not meet his first born son until he was over two years old.

What true heroes these men are and what examples they have been to my children. I am grateful to those men and women who are fighting today. I pray for their safe return.

The boys school had an assembly today where the chorus sang songs about freedom and America. I love that they are gaining an appreciation and love for this wonderful country we are blessed to live in.


And I 'm proud to be an American,

Where at least I know I'm free.

And I won't forget the men who died,

Who gave that right to me,

And I'll gladly stand up next to you,

And defend her still today,

'Cause there aint no doubt, I love this land,

God Bless the U.S.A.!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I had totally forgotten all about Veteran's Day until I went to church yesterday. In England it is called Remembrance Day. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the nation has a two minute silence in remembrance of those that have served in the wars before. We did this at church, and it was then that I remembered it is Veteran's Day in the states as well.

Especially living in a foreign country I too have to say that I'm proud to be an American. We truly live in a blessed Nation. Thanks for the post.