Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Tuesday Tell All: Movie Madness

Break out the Cherry Nibs, the hot salty popcorn and extra large diet drink and let's discuss some of my favorite movies. At least that is what I would like to eat if I were actually going to get a chance to watch one. I just can't seem to find the time.

When I read the topic, I have to be honest, nothing really popped out at me. I had to scan through my movie closet for hints. I like to see movies and at times have loved some, but I am not really a huge movie lover. I can't remember the last movie I saw with Rich in the theater. I don't know when I popped a DVD in the player and never watch old movies on TV or cable. On occasion rent a few DVD's and when I do, I get it, watch it that day and then return it as soon as I push eject. I know Rich will never get a chance to view it and I despise late fees.

With that said, I do enjoy watching movies and hold a special place in my heart for a few. I broke my list down like a timeline (that may be on my mind since I spent the last week creating Josh and Matt's own timelines for their huge school project, but I digress). I'll start with the ones I loved as a child and then work my way up, So, as they say, "On with the show".......

In a time long, long ago, before the Disney Princess era of movies, Sing-Along-DVD's and exquisite dress up gown for little girls, there was a beautiful animated Disney feature film named Sleeping Beauty. I loved it and is still my favorite of all the Disney movies. I love the three sweet fairies (3 cups of various sizes!), Maleficent is the perfect villain, that Prince Phillip actually has a personality and who doesn't love that scene when Aurora is dancing with the animals and Phillip steps in. It's perfect!
Love this movie. Saw in in 1985 when it was released and dreamed of one day of stumbling upon adventure after finding a secret passage way only to later discover a hidden pirate ship full of treasure. Great movie.
This is probably my FAVORITE MOVIE. I love the story, how clever it is, the dialog and still find myself quoting it on a regular basis. It is the perfect fairy tale with a bit of a twist. INCONCEIVABLE!
This would probably have to me my RUNNER-UP. So the message isn't all that great and it stinks that Sandy ends up smoking decked out in black leather, but I loved this movie the minute I saw it. Sadly, my mom doesn't have the same love for it as I. Probably because being a mother, she had a better perspective on life and this movies lesson. I agree, but I'll always love Grease. These were the first movies that made me feel that excitement and longing for a sequel. When we visited Universal Studios in LA and saw the set, it was like I had died and gone to heaven. I'll never forget seeing the clock tower and wondering if they would really invent a Hovercraft in my lifetime. I thought they would be so fun to ride! I love the first and third movie, but they could have done so much more with number two.
Who doesn't love Indiana? There were scenes from these flicks that my brothers and I acted out on more than one occasion. I could sit and watch these again.
The PERFECT LOVE STORY. At the end of this movie, when he shows up and drops the ring in the money catch, it made me want to find that special someone and get engaged. This is one of the all time best!
Good movie, but even better music. Almost all of the songs I selected for my wedding video were off the soundtrack. Great memories.
I love Jane Austen's books and movies, but Emma was the first movie that came to mind. (Though no movie can compare to the book Pride and Prejudice.) I thought Gwyneth played the perfect Emma. The costumes were divine and we all need a little light romance once in a while. (I almost put Ever After instead of Emma. Great movie too.) I have to laugh at my dad here. He hates all of the movies made of this era. He thinks everyone is lazy and boring. I would say, only the lucky ones!
This movie touched me to the core and I only saw it once. Yes, it is rated R, there is very strong language and horrific battle scenes, but it showed me the realities of war. It is ugly, violent, vicious and heart breaking. Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII. This was their reality. I sat in the theater, next to my brothers and wept during the film as I thought of them being sent off to battle. I never thought of war the same way again.The first film introduced me into the land of J.R.R. Tolkien. It's not like I didn't know about the books. My dad had read the entire series and loved them all. He even read The Hobbit aloud to us when I was young, but when I tried to start The Fellowship of the Ring, the names were so similar and I had a hard time getting into it. Then I watched the first movie and knew I couldn't wait a year to see how the story progressed, so I got out my boxed set (from a book order of course!) and flew through The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Then I read The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Hobbit and bought and read The Similarian. I took notes, studied the genealogy in the back index, called my dad to discuss, called Todd Hamilton (fellow LOTR fan) to discuss. I loved them all. The movies are just like the books and are the only movie trilogy that really does capture what is found on the page. Well done!
Fun movies, NOT as good as the books, but the cast is perfect (except for the 2nd Dumbledore, but what can you do when the original actor dies?) and the music is by far the best part of the movie. The theme song captures the magic of Harry. With the Christmas season nearly upon us (only 2 weeks and 2 days until my tree will be up- crazy!) I had to put my two favorite Christmas movies. Honestly, Elf is one of my all time favorites and I watch it throughout the year, but it is even extra special near December. I love this movie and laugh every time.
You really don't think you could celebrate Christmas and not view How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the animated version)! I love the music, the message and we call our meat Roast Beast to this day!

Maybe I'll have to pull out a few and watch while I do laundry, clean bathrooms and touch up paint. Maybe.... Happy Viewing to All!

8 comments:

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

"no more rhyming now I mean it! anybody want a peanut?"
my brother used to watch that movie over and over again... I LOVE it too- tons of great one liners.

Marcie said...

Great picks...I forgot about One Fine Day...love that one.

Can you beleive I've never seen Sleeping Beauty? I think my brothers were making me watch King Kong and Star Wars so much I missed out on the animated Disney's. Alice will have to put this movie on her Christmas list.

Ashlee said...

Good picks! Drew has never seen Goonies. He was deprived.

I think I remember you mentioning a while ago about a website that you can back up all your blog enteries on? Am I dreaming this up or did you really mention it?

jamie said...

great list! There are several I should have added to my list, but than it would have been the neverending post. By far, my favorite holiday movie is Elf. I laughed so hard the first time I saw it that I was crying and pleading for them to stop being funny. Will Ferrell is genius. "It's ginormous!' One of my favorite words, ever. :)

jamie said...

oh real quick, I saw george clooney and michelle pfeiffer film One Fine Day in NYC. Georgey was gorgeous and Michelle was breathtaking in real life. :) I love that movie.

Cheryl said...

Jamie-

We are both on the taller side so I have to say that I am sure they are shorter than both of us by a long shot! So fun that you saw a movie being flimed. That would be amazing.

I saw Jane Seymore at Universal Studios years ago and she was the size of Trey. Yes, an 8 year old. Crazy!

Ashlee-

I left the link and download information on your blog.

Marcie-

You have NEVER seen Sleeping Beauty and you've been to Disneyland and have a daughter? Hard to believe. Go out and buy it now, watch it (you'll love it) and then wrap it up for Alice's Christmas. It's that good!

Cheryl

Ashlee said...

Cheryl,
thank you thank you. I have this nightmare that I log onto my blog and everything is gone. So I tried saving the html but it's all in code so I'm not sure what exactly got saved but something is saved. thanks

Tiffany said...

I've never seen Sleeping Beauty either! I blame it on being the youngest in the family by so many years. I used to complain to my mom that I missed out on all of the Disney videos. I maybe saw 2 growing up -- then I finally got see more with my niece Brittany when she was little, but she always wanted to watch Alice in Wonderland -- which is too psycho for me!