Monday, November 26, 2007

Black Friday

Who needs 4 AM sales and the massive crowds when you can spend a lazy morning at home browsing the Internet for good sales and gathering Christmas gift ideas. I got lucky when I called the Pottery Barn Kids customer service and asked why their fun Thanksgiving Countdown wasn't marked down (we don't have a store here in Lexington). They sold it to me for 1/2 price. Love it! It was my one and only purchase of the day. Since we weren't out before dawn, we were all well rested and ready for our afternoon outing up north.

I have been dying to go to the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal for years. The building was built in 1933 as the Union Terminal train station and was named a historic landmark in 1977. The museum opened in 1990. This beautiful building is really three museums in one. There is the Duke Energy Children's Museum, Cincinnati History Museum and Museum on Natural History and Science. I knew our Louisville Science Center pass would get us in for free, so it was the perfect way to spend a day together.

The drive is about an hour and half and I loved the view of the city once you come around the curve. It's beautiful. We took our first trip up to Cincinnati with Jim and Marcie Alcorn with the men in the front and Marcie and I in the back with Trey in between us. I was 4 1/2 month pregnant with Josh and Matt. We hit the Gap Clearance Center, Newport Aquarium and drove around the city. What great memories.
The front arch is made of limestone and is 10 stories high. It's quite the site to see when you pull up.Our view as we waited 20 minutes to get tickets. It seemed everyone had the same idea to spend the day at the museum. When we finally got to the ticket counter we discovered we could only get into the Natural History and Science part for free. Fine by us, though the kids were dying to go to the Children's Museum, so we'll have to come up again soon!
The Natural History part is located in the right wing of the building. The history museum is on the left and the Children's Museum is in the basement. This Mastodon is visible through the front glass doors. It reminded me a bit of the movie Night at the Museum. The boys loved feeling the piece of polar bear fur they had on display.
Trey with a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach.The boys petting a snake. I really wish I snapped a picture of Rich touching it. I was shocked when he did. It must have been a first since, well forever!Trey gets the heart pumping.Matt rings up some sweets in the candy shoppe.Brynn LOVED the sand. I realized she hasn't been around it much. Only once this summer at my parents. She just played and played.Kaitlyn was content scooping it up while sitting on the boardwalk.I loved this. It shows which part of the earth is day and night. We had fun finding Taiwan on the map and seeing Kurt was just getting up, but was a day ahead of us. The boys thought that it was strange that is was Saturday there already when we had just ate lunch on Friday!Matt would have loved to take home this huge chunk of Pyrite, or otherwise called Fool's Gold.This was the best part of the museum. I really could say it the was one of coolest thing I have ever seen in a museum, and that's saying a lot. It was called "The Cave" and is a re-created Kentucky limestone cave, complete with underground waterfalls, streams, fossils and a live bat colony. You entered by going down 65 stairs through the "natural entrance."There were narrow passage ways,water flowing through the cave,
stalactites, stalagmites, columns
and a huge cavern. It felt like I was back at Mammoth Cave. It was really, really awesome.
After our cave adventure, we got to walk through a glacier. It reminded me of Sea World.The boys got to see how glaciers (or mudslides) flow.Next was a huge mountain type area. The girls thought the wolf looked a bit real.
Matt, Josh and Trey.
We ended with a part about reptiles and dinosaurs. We spent 3 hours in the one museum and can't wait to return. Maybe the girls will be up for a Imax film next time around.
What a way to beat the Christmas shopping frenzy!
Cincinnati, Ohio. The end of a great day!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

What a great way to avoid the crowds. The museum looked like a lot of fun. I think my boys would like it. Clark and my dad took the boys to the Natural History Museum here in London and they loved it. Sammy wants to go back. He keeps talking about seeing the dinosaurs. Clark wants to go back too. He said the coolest part was the life-size replica of a blue whale. It really puts size into perspective. Isn't it nice that there are so many places to visit and things to teach our children about if we only take the opportunity to go and do them. I know you grew up doing those kinds of things and your kids will be grateful that you are doing the same thing.

Marcie said...

Okay I am so upset right now. I,too, looked online for the advent calendar on Fri. saw that it wasn't on sale yet, but put it in my cart to wait. Sometime while I was at the game on Sat. it went on sale and sold out. I am so bummed I didn't call like you did!

Marcie said...

THe museum looks great- and to think it is only one of three on the property. There is so much to do in the area with older kids that we missed out on. That just means we'll be bringing all the kids back for a visit in the next few years...and we'll have to get a list from you of the spots to hit.

I remember that trip to Cincinati....I miss being able to take short road trips to such great places!

Laura F said...

I love that you post so many pictures! We went to the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point (however ironic that names is, I just realized it) over the holiday and we all commented on "Night at the Museum", too, with the fossils. Great movie!

Dad & Mom said...

I loved the museum pictures, Cher. Remember the Natural History Museum at the U of U and the dinosaur that ate our coins?

Cheryl said...

Of course I remember the dinosaur Dad! Feed Me Money! GRRRRR! The last time we went up there was in 2002 just days before the Olympics. We'll have to do it again soon! All the kids would love it!