Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Favorites

While I love a big plateful of white turkey, I say forget about the rolls, green beans and potatoes. To me Thanksgiving must include these two recipes.





Crowd Size Stuffing

2 packages bulk sausage
1 whole stalk celery
1 large onion

Brown and add:

1 cup margarine
2 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes

Simmer for 30 minutes. Cut 4 loaves of white break (it's easy to slice when slightly frozen) into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl. Add to the bread:

3 tsp. ground sage
2 tsp. ground thyme
2 tsp. pepper

Mix well and then pour sausage/vegetable mixture to bread and stir. Put in a large Baking dish and bake at 325 until hot.

Sweet Potato Souffle

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes drained
3/4 stick margarine, melted
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup canned milk

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup margarine melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients with a hand mixer and pour into a sprayed 9X13 inch glass baking dish. Combine all the topping ingredients and sprinkle over sweet potato mixture. Bake for 30 minutes (or until bubbling).

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I don't think I could every give up my rolls or mashed potatoes, but I am definitely going to try your sweet potato recipe. Amy (my sister in law) and I were talking last night about the sweet potatoes and neither of us had any ideas for how to cook them. We were going to be really boring. Thanks for the great idea!!

Shelly said...

The potatoes turned out SO GOOD!! I am so glad I decided to use your recipe. I was just going to be boring and do them like I always do. Anyway, thanks!! Loved them.

Laura F said...

We use almost the same recipe! We found it after we got married and have never deviated since then. And Shelly, it's in your recipe book, you silly! "No idea how to cook sweet potatoes..." It's a good thing you posted it, Cheryl! :-) Happy Thanksgiving!