Friday, November 9, 2007

Tagged- Jobs

I got tagged by my friend Melissa to write about all the real jobs I have had in my life. While the list isn't long, I am grateful that my parents taught me at a young ate the value of work, gave me opportunities to work and encouraged me to always do my best in whatever I did. I have never really written these down, so beware, I intend to write a little about each.

Baby sitter: This would have been my first paying job. Every once in a while I would watch my Aunt Marilyn's two kids, Ashley and Ryan. She was and still is my dad's nurse at the office. My cousins and I had a lot of fun playing together and I loved looking at the time pass on the clock and adding up how much money I had earned. I don't remember how much I got an hour, but Marilyn paid me very well. I didn't mind watching other peoples children, but there were a few neighbors that I hated to sit for. They paid me next to nothing and would always return late. The neighbors across the street were another story. I loved when Karen would call because she paid well and her kids were cute. I still remember her black, white and red kitchen. I didn't baby sit that often, but long enough to know it wasn't something I had a passion for.

Filing at my dad's office- 8th grade until college. During the summer somewhere around 7th or 8th grade my mom would drive me and my older brother over to my dad's office where we would file charts and paper work. This must have been a huge chore for her to get us to Springville, but it was great for us to have a real job.

This job lasted for years and I loved it. My dad paid us very generously and it was fun to be with him and my aunt. I loved the little room full of charts and the feeling of accomplishment when it was all organized.

When Greg got his license during his sophomore year he would drive us over in the blue Datsun while we listened to U2 and UB40 in the cassette player. We often would stop and get ice cream cones or chili cheese nachos at 7-Eleven in Springville. I continued to work at the office long after Greg stopped and eventually would copy the charts of women for the hospital, copy things for my dad, as well as file the paper work and charts and pull the list for the next day.

I miss working there and seeing my family so often. When I got married my dad changed office and it was a joy to be with my Uncle Dave as well. He was in the old office, but in the basement, so to share it with only him, was a real treat.

Cafeteria employee- Freshman year BYU-Hawaii. My mom called and told me if I got a job on campus that gave me benefits through the school I could pocket the extra money it would cost them to put me on a different medical insurance plan. I went in search of a job the next day. Obviously the extra few dollars were incentive enough and I didn't mind the thought of having some extra spending cash as it was the first time I lived away from home.

I went on a interview for a cleaning job, but they said that it was specifically for sponsor students (kids who were from other countries and worked jobs- usually at the Polynesia Cultural Center to pay for school), so I went to the next job interview on the list- cook at the cafeteria. I went thinking I would be working a few nights a week, but was surprised when they said it would be a morning job. A very early morning job. I started at 5 or 5:30 AM. I didn't work every morning, but the hours added up quickly.

I loved everything about my job. I got my own huge knife that I etched my name on and I stored it in my dorm room. Every morning as I ran to work in the dark (a whole 2 min run) I would pack my knife with me. Just someone try to attack me wielding a giant butcher knife! Then I would put on my hair net, my apron and get to work cooking breakfast and prepping for lunch. I usually made the oatmeal, washed and prepared the pans of rice, cut up veggies for soup and any other things they need to be done. I rarely cooked the eggs or pancakes out front, but did it a time or two. I remember getting to my 9 AM math class after my first morning on the job and my hand just reeked on onions that I had just chopped up for the soup. I thought it was so funny.

I worked with the most amazing Hawaiian people ever. Each morning I would come Mary would give me a kiss on each cheek. She was my Hawaiian Mom. One of the main chef's name was Junior. He should have been named Bubba. He was a ginormous (truly huge) Hawaiian man who could put an entire chicken breast in his mouth and then pull out the bone- I saw him do it myself! He was crazy. He would send me into the back freezer to climb up on the boxes in search of things he was making for dinner parties and catering. There was a nice Hawaiian man that would come in each morning even earlier than me to make doughnuts. He was always smiling and laughing.

The most memorable day was December 7, Pearl Harbor Day. I was there listening to the radio and the tributes to the men and women lost and then heard first hand accounts from the women in the room about what it was like for them when they were on the island that day. I'll never forget that.

I don't remember if it was during fall semester or at the beginning of winter, my roommate Amanda got a job there too and we had fun working together. She worked nights once in awhile, while I only did the morning shift.

I'll tell you after working only a few days I decided to eat only packaged food. Since I was living on campus, I ate every meal at "The Caf." What I didn't know was that they would take yesterdays old food, scrape off the sauce (and any flies) and then reserve it for lunch. When I would boil my water for oatmeal in a huge vat that was attached to the wall and the water would boil over, cockroaches would fall to the floor dead from the hot water. When I went in search of cereal in the large stock room out front I saw a rat the size of a full grown cat (NO JOKE) scurry across the floor and then slide down out of sight on a poster leaning against the wall. It was crazy! Good memories!

Receptionist at Rich's dad's office (1999): Graduated from BYU with my BS in Elementary Education and promptly got a job answering phones at Rich's dad's orthopedic office. Wait, I went to school for 3 1/2 years and then went into the field of telephone operator? Actually, I graduated in December, making teaching school a bit tricky and Rich was in the middle of applying for medical school and interviews. I had no idea where we would be in the fall, so I happily took the job at the office. It was perfect. I worked 8 AM-6 PM, got free lunches (they would pick a menu out each day and then we could order whatever we wanted), drinks, goodies (this place was always well stocked with treats), if I worked over 40 hours I got overtime, I had great benefits and worked with the nicest bunch of employees and doctors around.

The only sad part was that Rich's dad wasn't there at the time. He was a mission president in Brazil, but his identical twin brother Bob and younger brother Scott were there, so I was still surrounded by family. I was pregnant with Trey and I worked up until the day I had him (well I worked on Friday and went into labor Saturday evening). The staff threw me a baby shower, the doctors gave me gifts and I still went in after he was born and did billing at night. It was the perfect fit for me at the time.

Receptionist at my dad's office/ Filing at the office: After I stopped working at the orthopedic office, my dad let me answer phones for him one morning a week and I brought Trey along. It was so much fun to be back in his office and bring my baby. I didn't do if for very long, but I loved working out front. I also continued to do filing for my dad. I did this until I moved to Louisville. I was very sad when my mom's little sister Julie took over for me, but truth be told, she's amazingly organized and does an even better job than I did.

School teacher: The first night I was in Louisville (we flew out and stayed with Josh and Tiffany while we looked for a house) I met Marcie Alcorn who also happened to be a school teacher. She told me that there might be an opening at her school (a private school in Middletown named Summit Academy) and arranged for me to meet with her principle on Monday. I went and met with her and then after I returned to Utah, I got a phone call (while I was eating at Cafe Rio with my Mom) that told me I could teach a few students every morning. It was perfect and I said yes immediately. Rich hadn't started school yet, so he could watch Trey while I was away. I started in January when the kids came back from their holiday break. I was in Marcie's classroom for the first bit and then took 2 students down stairs to my make shift classroom in the storage room. I put up a few things on the wall and some class room rules and worked with the boys in spelling, reading and handwriting. I think those were the basic concepts. Since there were only the three of us around a small table, we would play game together (spelling Go Fish- Do you have a s-h-e-l-l?) and for a treat would listen to books on tape. I was pregnant with Josh and Matt and knew I would be on bed rest (Trey came 2 weeks early) so I only taught until May 1st and then headed back to Utah where I rested until I had the boys. It was a wonderful job and I am still grateful to Marcie for helping me get it.

Tended a little boy: During the time I taught school, I also watched a little boy Monday-Thursday. His mom was another LDS lady I had met that first night in Louisville and she taught PE at the same school. I would wait for Jessica to arrive (she only taught in the afternoon) and then took her little boy home with me. He would stay until 4:30 PM or so each day. We needed the extra money, but I also thought that it would be good for Trey (he was about 15 months at the time) to be around a little boy that was around his age. Austin was just a bit younger. I did that until we left for Utah in May.

And that is the end of my official list. I haven't worked a real job since Josh and Matt arrived and what a blessing that has been. They keep me busier working that I ever did when I got an actual pay check. Now a days the only thing I get money for is if I start selling of my things on Ebay or Amazon.com (which I do on occasion), but the bad part about that is I end up buying while I'm selling.

So now you know even more about me. That could be a good or bad thing I guess. The beauty of a blog.

I do get to tag others so: Heather D., Lacey, Stephanie and Sue. You're it!

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh the memories of "the caf" working experience. So much fun.

I have to say that I love your new design on your site. How did you do it? It looks great.

Marcie said...

Okay, I am officially creeped out because I have eaten at that cafeteria before with my family on vacation.

So fun to read about your past jobs!

traci said...

Great jobs Cheryl. But, I am sorry to say you have been tagged again. I wouldn't have had I known you just had. Go to my blog and see what it's all about. Traci

Joe and Amy said...

So fun to learn about the jobs. I think I will never eat in any cafeteria again. Ewww!

Sarah said...

What a fun list of past jobs! I loved reading about each of them and it makes me think about the various jobs I've had over the past few years.

Are most of your girlfriends who blog also out in Lexington or do they live all over? I've enjoyed reading the different 'tags' you girls make!

Occasionally, ok probably more than occasionally, I have trouble falling asleep. What a fun time to blog! I've found that if I lay my head down to sleep but I am deep in a thinking mood, there's no use in staying in bed-- I've got to do something productive! Loved your post!

Heather said...

Cheryl,
glad I took time tonight to catch up on my blog reading. I'll put your "tag" on my to-do list. Don't know if I can remember that much and certainly not as diverse as yours--but I'll try.

PS--I can't believe you were never a model! I'm serious!

Tiffany said...

I learned some fun things about you! You never cease to amaze and surprise me!

Sue said...

Wow, you have quite the resume! I’m impressed with all your work experience. I agree that being taught great work values is one of the best gifts you can give your children. It looks like your parents taught you at a young age. I’m sure this has served you well, with the hard work you have to do everyday as a mother. It was fun for me to read this post until I got to the bottom and saw that you tagged me. I’m definitely going to do this because I’ve never documented all the jobs I’ve had. It’s nothing too exciting.
I was nervous about you running with your knife and was relieved to know you never received an injury from it. I have to admit that I had a funny visual of you working in the cafeteria with your hair net and large knife in hand. Thanks for the tag. I’ll be posting soon.