Saturday, November 3, 2007

Explorium of Lexington

With the soccer season behind us and Rich stuck at the hospital, we needed to find something fun to do this morning. I knew right away where we should go, the Explorium of Lexington. It is Lexington's little science center. It would be the perfect place to get out all of our wiggles and energy. We set a time with Jonni Badger and her 3 kids and were soon on our way downtown.

Bonus: Our Louisville Science Center and Zoo year membership pass got us in for free! (FYI to any Louisville friends who want to come up and spend the day here with us!)

I have to admit that after spending HOURS at the Louisville Science Center and Indianapolis Children's Museum, I didn't have high hopes for this place. But I can happily report that it far exceeded any of my expectations and then some. Yes, it is smaller, but it had lots to see and do. They covered most of the topics the other places have and I was really impressed. I know I'll be taking the girls there often while the boys are at school, especially during the long, cold winter months. I am really happy there is a fun place like this in town and can't believe I let a year and a half go by before I checked it out!I opted to NOT bring the stroller. It was a first. I knew the girls would never sit in it and I'd be stuck pushing it trying to keep up with them. Brynn and Kaitlyn were in heaven running here and there! I was glad it wasn't very busy until the end.They have a great little fenced in area for 3 and under where they have a perfect little water table.
The girls splished and splashed. Josh the scientist examines slides.He also trys out his dad's job of reading X-rays.Matt gives a baby a shot. His flu shot still must be fresh in his mind. (Kristi- there were no black baby dolls. Anna wouldn't approve!)Luke was one scary doctor!The girls and Cameron walk through the aorta.Matt and Trey spotted a real horse heart. (Only in Kentucky!)We thought this shot was appropriate since Jonni's husband is studying periodontics at UK.The boys and Sadie explore a mine.Trey the jockey. He loved the orange silks! He had better stop growing if he wants to pursue a career! Josh goes for a stroll on a thoroughbred at a horse farm.Little Cameron and Jonni.Brynn pets the horse.Kaitlyn follows her lead and went for a little ride.Everyone loved the Kentucky River area. Brynn was diving in head first! (Should have kept the little water proof smock on her!) They had fun racing boats and making dams.Matt blasts off to space in the Space Shuttle
Josh visits the moon.
The girls loved climbing in the moon craters. Brynn was fascinated by this balloon suspended in air. She thought it was fun at first, and then just got mad that it never came down! Kaitlyn discoverd the bubble room. She liked seeing these bubbles in water.Kaitlyn and Brynn in the little indian village. They loved the play food.Matt the paleintologist. He smiles by the Triceritops head.
The boys spent a lot of time playing this dinosaur game. You've gotta know that if there's a video game in the building, they'll find it! The girls loved the dinosaur table.Josh scales a cliff! Who knew he was so skilled in mountain climbing!


I know we'll visit again soon!

6 comments:

Marcie said...

Wow that does look like a great museum! It looks from the photos like it incorporates all of our Utah museums into one.

Kristi said...

Cheryl, due to your EXTENSIVE photo journalism of the day, I feel like I was there with you! You kill me with your photo taking. It looks like a very fun place. We will have to visit you for sure! By the way, your blog is getting cuter every time I visit. You are beginning to look like a SCRAPBOOKER (gasp!).

jamie said...

wow I definitely need to carry around my camera more often. What great pictures. You are so good at capturing your family's adventures. Definitely an example to me. :)

Cheryl said...

Just a note Kristi- my blog is cute thanks to one person and one person only: Lacey. She deserved ALL the credit!

Cheryl said...

PS And yes I am obsessed about taking pictures. When we got there I thought I had forgotten my camera for a brief moment and almost had a panic attack. At least I can admit I have a problem right?!

Heather Woolley said...

What a fun place!! Great pictures too. You get the perfect pictures every time. Your kids are so perfect to smile and pose for the pictures too! They are so cooperative! We've got a problem with that at our house!