Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Tuesday Tell All - An Attitude of Gratitude‏

This is the season to stop and reflect on all that we have been given each day and give thanks for all of our blessings. I have so much that I thank my Heavenly Father for every day. What blessed lives we have and how much goodness can be found, in happy times and even in the mist of trials. We know that the Lord has his hand in everything and is watchful in all we do. How lucky we are to have this knowledge and understanding of the purpose and plan of life.

This weeks Tuesday Tell All is to write about what we are especially grateful for this year . It is easy to make a quick list about what makes our life pleasant and enjoyable, but it took a bit more time to think what is particularly important in my life right now.

1. My sweet husband. The Lord was watching over me the day I met Rich. I couldn't have found a better fit if I searched the world over. He truly gets me. He understands the things I obsess over and worry about. He listens, he loves and he helps. He is my best friend and the most wonderful father to our children. He doesn't get any down time, days off or lazy days, but he never complains. He makes my life so happy and I will love him forever!

2. My children. They are my pride and joy. My greatest gifts. My purpose in life. My little angels. I am so lucky to share my time on earth with them.

Trey: Kind soul, tender heart, scriptorian, chocoholic, lover of books. I see so much of myself in him. He fixates on things, he has natural abilities but doesn't want to spend the time practicing. Enjoys the fun things in life.

Josh: Helper, more serious, but loves to try to tease and no one ever believes because he can not tell a lie. He is disciplined, he loves to practice sports, he is the first one to finish homework and climb in bed. Needs more sleep than the rest of the bunch. He is wise for his age.

Matt: Midnight Matt as we call him. Loves to stay up late visiting. Hates to eat (the kid's a skeleton!) but will always gobble up chicken and french fries. Loves sugar. Is the worlds biggest pack rat, but unfortunately for him he has a mother that tosses 99% of his treasures within the first 24 hours. He loves to build and have collections. He loves treasure chests, shiny things and action figures. He makes me laugh every day.

Brynn: Smiles, giggles, exploring, running, jumping, climbing. Lots of clothes and shoes, but no hair bows. Afraid of animals, but not heights. Loves to be rocked before bed and cuddle on my shoulder. Hyper cutie.

Kaitlyn: Hugs, kisses, playful shy smiles, tub time, play cooking, piggie back rides, loves dogs and animals. Loves french fries, her bottle and blanket. She has a very sharp teeth, but will always go out of her way to give things to others. Sweetie.

3. Loving parents and in-laws. Where to start. How can you thank the people who gave you and your husband life? Who take such good care of you and your children. Who send packages full of love and brighten our days with phone calls. Who would fly across the country at a moments notice and dive in when help is needed. They are wise, kind and our best friends. We benefit from their love daily and look forward when we can be closer.

4. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the scriptures and having a living Prophet. Last month I missed a few weeks of church with sickness and I was so anxious to get back. Yes, I have been wandering the halls with the girls for months and haven't heard a real lesson in ages, but when I missed it all together, my life didn't seem to flow as smoothly and I was eager to return. Since I have been back, I still spend two hours with Brynn and Kaitlyn in the nursery (Brynn lost it when I left last week and started hurling toys!) but being there, feeling the spirit, and connecting with other members, it brings a peace to my soul that I can get no other way.

I love reading the Book of Mormon reader with the boys. It brings a spirit of love and joy when we read. It teaches them such important principles that will help them throughout their lives. They can recite the stories like I can recite fairy tales. This make me feel like Rich and I are doing something right as parents. I know they love Heavenly Father and their testimonies are growing stronger even at their young age.

Listening to conference last month once again reaffirmed my testimony that we have such wise and righteous men leading and guiding us to the things that bring us joy. I love how the Lords plan is referred to as the Plan of Happiness because if we follow his teachings, we will have days full of peace and contentment. I love the pictures of President Hinckley taken at last conference that have been circulating through the Internet. It shows his gentle nature, the light in his eyes and the goodness in his heart. He is a true prophet and we are blessed to have him.

5. Great friends. Not many people get blessed with incredible friends in their lives. I won the lottery when it came to friends. Women that have gotten up in the middle of the night to take my kids when I went to the hospital, women who would take my kids for days and not ever expect anything in return. Who buy your kids toys and clothes at yard sales because they knew they would love them. Who call and text just to say they were thinking of me. Who love my children as their own, who love me just the way I am. Women that I can call to tell them about a great deal I got at Wal-mart and they actually care because it made me happy. That tell me the truth and give me honest advice. I could not have lived away from our families for seven years and know I have many years still to go without your love and support. I am forever in your debt!

6. Lexington. What opportunities this place has given my children. We moved into the perfect "KidZone". There are nine other little boys in our cul-de-sac. The minute we get home from school, we have at least four little boys sitting waiting on the porch (Matt tends to be the slowest walker at VPE!) and dying to play with Trey, Josh and Matt. They spend hours playing army, 4 square and chasing each other around. Who knew places like this still existed. I love the boys school and their teachers. Our neighborhood pool and baseball facilities and huge park are within walking distance. I love the swim team, soccer team, baseball buddies, the Explorium, Keenland, the lush green rolling hills, the black wood fences, the gorgeous horse farms and so many other things about Lexington. It has been the perfect fit for us right now.

7. Nature. This entire fall season as just moved me. Everywhere I look there are beautiful mums, bright red Fire Bushes, colorful leaves on every tree, green grass and sunshine. It makes me grateful that Heavenly Father gave us such a lovely Earth to live in.

8. Gaining Perspective. This is a tough one. It seems that to really gain perspective on life, it often comes through persevering through trials. I am grateful that after the storm, I can better appreciate the sunshine. I realize that life is so short and that I need to focus on the now, being happy and loving my family. I am grateful for the gospel and for family for helping me to see through the clouds and know there is always sunlight coming our way.

9. Telephones. What a remarkable invention. The whole phone concept fascinates me, but have no idea how the things really works. I am just so grateful that it does. To think that I can just pick up a phone, call my mom, brothers, dad, grandparents, Rich, friends, and neighbors is incredible. What a wonderful tool. My Grandma Larsen had her rotator cuff repaired on Tuesday and to be able to call her early Wednesday morning and hear her bright cheerful voice was a really blessing. It makes living away much more bearable.

10. My washing machine. I can't count the number of socks, shirts and pants I wash, fold and put away in one day. What I do know is if I don't keep up, I'll have a mountain of clean clothes on my floor and another mound of dirty in the laundry room after just one day of letting it go. My kids seem to spill everything, from the water in the shower, to chocolate milk, mustard to toothpaste. Everything is dirty after just one wear. Thank heavens for my trusty and handy washing machine. My life would be taken over by cleaning clothes, bedding, towels and rugs without it. It is a life saver! Now if I could some how cut down my $56.00 dollar a month water bill (and no, we don't have a sprinkler system)!

11. My blog. When I started this thing I had no idea how wonderful it would be. Sure I knew it would be an easy it is to share pictures and stories with friends and family and keep a family history, but I didn't realize how I could find people I love and had lost contact with and meet new amazing women that I can now call friends. Nor did I realize how much I would enjoy writing, but even more surprising was how much I enjoy reading other peoples stories. We share in their joys and pains. It shows me that I am not alone in all my struggles with kids and life. It really has been a very therapeutic and enjoyable part of my life. And I love my "fellow bloggers" dearly!


With Thanksgiving just two days away, I thought it would appropriate to ask my family members what they are grateful for.


Rich: Me (what a nice thing to type!), the kids, parents/family and hope for a better call schedule in 2008!

Trey: His parents, grandparents, his Playstation 2 and games and books (esp. Garfield, Bones and Calvin and Hobbs).

Josh: His Mom and Dad, playing outside with friends, all sports and his teachers.

Matt: The world, all of his toys (esp. his Star Wars Action figures) and his parents.

Brynn: Her thumb, soft blankets, her stroller, accessories (bracelets, necklaces, bags), shoes, running outside, crayons and paper.

Kaitlyn: Her thumb, bottles, dogs, books, hot dogs, babies, getting to play in the back of the van and kitchen items (spoons, bowls, cups) to pretend cook with.


May we all take a moment to reflect on all we have. Have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!

9 comments:

Marcie said...

I enjoyed reading your list.

It is cute to read what the kids are grateful for. Matt would love playing at our house. Jim has an insane collection of Star Wars from his childhood. He also has all his old GI Joes. It is great not to have to buy any of this for our own kids.

Sally said...

This was a great TTA. Its fun to document the "current" things that make our life important.


I love your clip art!

Tiffany said...

I can't believe you throw away Matt's treasures. I thought you'd empathize -- didn't you just tell me last week that you were a pack rat too?! I totally am -- and unfortunately so is Josh so we are truly in trouble next June!

So funny the girls are thankful for their thumbs!

Cheryl said...

Tiff,

I said it looked like I was a pack rat after I showed all of the stuff from my cedar chest. The truth is I throw everything away that I can and send the rest to Goodwill. Nothing can beat a cleaned out closet! Rich just knows if he can't find it, then it's somewhere in a garbage dump. Sad for them, peace of mind for me!

Holly said...

That was beautiful. You have a great gift of words. Thank you for sharing.

And, I too had no idea how much I would like to blog. But it is amazing to write down my feelings, and then to hear other people's stories. It just seems, well, more real. Not just an artificial "I;m doing great" smile, but a better understanding of others . . . and myself.

Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with me.

Joe and Amy said...

What a great post! You always put it so well and leave me feeling so uplifted! Thanks!

Joe and Amy said...

And it's 10:15 here, I do sleep!

Tiffany said...

oh cheryl!

that was so wonderful to read! you always write so eloquently, i just love to read it.

i'm so sorry we had to cancel today! although it was probably a good thing because when branden got home he was definitely not looking to good. oh well, we'll have to do it next week when we get back.

i'll miss you and hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving! thanks for always being so kind and understanding!

love, tiffany

Elder and Sister Swenson said...

Cheryl, I could say ditto to your list. Having a great spouse certainly makes life a joy! And knowing that we can enjoy our family relationships forever because of the gift of the Savior brings great peace. The scripture "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth" is certainly true and it gets sweeter with grandchildren. Thanks for sharing.