Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tuesday Tell All: A Season of Giving

When I got the topic last week, my mind started working overtime thinking about all the wonderful people who have touched my life through service. The stranger lifting a huge stroller box into my car as I struggled to get it in. The friend who waited with my boys at pick up when I was a few minutes late. Those who share a smile and kind word at a store. The friend to invites my kids over to play. The Relief Society president who spends countless hours visiting unknown women on our ward roster. The family who secretly dropped cookies off on our porch. The group of voluneeters running the November 6 election in the pool clubhouse. The friend who watched my 5 children so I could go to a doctors appointment. The group of people selected and serving as the November Jury panel in Fayette County. The gorgeous handmade diaper bag, hair bows and personalize blankets made for the girls with love by dear friends in Louisville. The LDS missionaries I saw making a street contact just yesterday. My brother Kurt who is busy tracting the streets in Taiwan. The friends who picked up the stranded traveler and took them to a gas station and then back to their car with the needed gasoline. My family making projects for the Humanitarian Center at the Larsen Thanksgiving party. The thoughtful package in the mail from a friend that contained a Halloween decoration they had made just for me. The kind thank you note from a woman after I gave a Relief Society lesson. The neighbor who took Josh and Matt over to the church for primary activity so I could stay at Trey's game. The meals brought in when we had new babies. Rich spending sleepless nights at the hospital helping patients and other doctors. My sons who set the table without being asked. My girls sharing toys with each other. My brother Jeff taking flowers to his mentally challenged friends that worked in food services at BYU. Jeff and his soon to be bride Sarah leaving goodies, gifts and driving directions in our hotel rooms when we arrived in Sacramento for their wedding. My brother Brad volunteering at a clinic on a Saturday afternoon. My brother Rhett and his entire high school choir completing a community service project. My brother Greg memorizing and singing a song at Jeff's wedding dinner. My sister-in-law Kate getting all her young women home after an activity in the large city of San Francisco. My father-in-law spending hundreds of hours in interviews as a stake president in Provo. My father at the MTC four nights a week helping his little branch of Elders and Sister. My mom who cared for my nephew all summer while my sister-in-law studied for the bar. My mother-in-law who left her own daughter and brand new baby and flew to Louisville to help me with my new baby girls. My Grandpa and Grandma Larsen who have worked for years on Monday and Tuesday morning in the Provo temple. Grandpa and Grandma Hansen's generous Christmas gifts to the all the great-grandchildren. Grandma Jackson's handmade birthday cards. My Grandma Nance who did extractions from her home computer for years. Each of these people have touched my life and heart and taught me more about the importance of looking beyond oneself to help others.

If we look for acts of service, whether it be large or small, we see how we can all be instruments in the hands of God. I have been impressed lately with the Liberty Mutual ads on TV. They show someone doing something kind for someone and then the person watching helps another in return. Yes, we should pass it on, pay it forward and try to make someones day a bit easier. Isn't that why we are here in on earth, to help lift another and lighten each others loads. It makes me think of scripture, Matthew 25: 40 "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

My hope this Christmas season is to see the true meaning of Christmas. To put aside the ribbons, wrapping paper and bows and focus one the one real reason we celebrate this joyous holiday: Our Savior, Jesus Christ.

I heard this idea from a friend years ago and have wanted to start it as a tradition. I think I'll introduce it to the kids at FHE on Monday night. Take a shoe box and wrap it up to make it the prettiest, loveliest gift you could ever find under a Christmas tree. This is the present for our Savior, the person whose life we celebrate. He was our perfect example and taught us to love and serve one another. The box starts out empty, but every time you do an act of service, you write in on a paper and slip it into the box. These are the gifts we give to him. I hope by doing these little acts it will shift the focus from the lists of toys, to the needs of others. My desire is that we all, especially the boys, can look back on this year and remember the service we gave, instead of what we unwrapped from a store.

May we all focus on the true meaning of the season and share our time, talents and love freely with others.

Merry Christmas to all!

6 comments:

Laura F said...

I like that idea with the shoebox, and am so glad for the reminder! We tried to do something similar last year, but it was geared mainly toward beind kind to each other in our home, and we made a paper chain which we in turn wrapped around the tree on Christmas Eve. It was great in theory, but I had a hard time keeping track of the nice things everyone did, so our poor chain had like 10 links at the end of the month. I think the box might work better, so we'll try that this year!

I love your post, it was so fun to read the many acts of service performed by so many people - some of them that may be unnoticed by the giver.

Marcie said...

I loved reading about what good things each of your family member are doing.

I keep reminding the kids daily that the reason for all of the presents and decorations is they are all just leading up to Jesus Birthday party on Christmas. It seems to be the only way they understand that all of this is for a reason that is much bigger than Santa.

I think the box is a great idea.

Heather said...

this was just beautiful. We, too, are trying in little ways to change the focus from packages we get to enjoying the spirit of Christmas! I love to read your tell-alls, maybe after the first of the year I can join too!

Amanda said...

Thank you so much for your grateful words. I'll admit, I shed a tear. Clark always reminds me how important it is to be grateful for all the things we have been blessed with. It puts our lives into perspective. Often I find it most beneficial to write these blessings down, just as you did. It's a great reminder of how much Heavenly Father loves us.

I like the Christmas present idea. Kimball is getting to the age where he can understand more about what Christmas is, and I think your idea will encourage that. I think it will also help Sammy start to have an idea of what it's all about.

I appreciate your posts. They are always a good example of keeping track of how life is going. I love your attitude and the spirit I feel when I read them. Thanks for your inspiration. I love you tons!

Heather Woolley said...

What a beautiful list. It really made me think about things in my life more. All the little things I forget to appreciate. I love the shoebox idea. I love the way you write. It's just beautiful. It flows so well. I love reading your blog everyday, even if I don't get around to writing in mine. You should write a book.

Sarah said...

Hey Cher, its me Jeff. Sarah already had read your Tuesday Tell All, but I just read it for the first time. You failed to mention all that you gave to your little brothers while they grew up. You didn't tell about the countless hours you give to your children, and the love and kindness you show your husband as he works around the clock. You are the most service oriented person that I know and your life reflects the true meaning of Christmas year round. Thanks Cheryl. I love you!