Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday Tell All: Smell

Our sense of smell is one of my favorite of the 5 senses. With just one whiff, it can remind us of days long past, restore lost memories and bring to mind particular times and scenes. From a musty smell in the basement that floods my mind with happy moments of being in a small boat riding the Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland, to smelling a familiar perfume that our mother wears that instantly recalls the feeling of a warm welcoming hug when we come home to visit, it is a powerful tool for memory. Here are a few of my favorite scents.

A newborn baby

The salty fragrance of the ocean

Freshly baked bread

My hands after I squeeze a lime

Popcorn

Cinnabon in the airport

The sweet, cinnamon scent of the roasted nuts at the mall

The coffee aisle in the grocery store

The faint smell of pipe

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue perfume

BBQ on a summer night

The world after a rain storm

Cherry Lifesavers

Mint toothpaste

Roses

Mexican Pulled Pork in the crock pot

The scent of a roast cooking when I walk in the house after church

Bacon

Just bathed kids

Johnson & Johnson baby lotion

Mint shampoo

Freshly laundered clothing

The light scent of laundry in my front yard when I am washing

Watermelon, strawberries and pineapple

The floral smell in Hawaii

Escape perfume (Mom), Drakkar cologne (Dad)

Rich's Banana Republic cologne

Ann Taylor clothes

A new car

Pumpkin spice candles

Cinnamon and cloves wallflowers

Christmas trees

Candy Canes

Eucalyptus trees at Stanford

Churros at Disneyland

Vanilla

No comments: