Saturday, June 21, 2008

Fireflies

When the air is dense and thick and the sweat beads on your face with little excursion or movement you know summer in Lexington is upon you. These hot days can seem a bit unbearable when the temperatures soar and the moisture in the air is nearly visible, like a fine mist that hovers just out of sight. But if you can get through the day, wonders are lurking in the shadows. For the best surprises often are found if you patiently wait. Little things that have magic deep inside. Creatures that are as close to fairies and pixies as the world will ever know. Small things that turn an ordinary backyard into a wonderland. Beautiful little beetles that surprise and delight me every year. Fireflies. Lightning bugs if I use the correct Kentucky slang. They are one of my favorite things I welcome back each summer. And my friends arrived this week. Finally.

Fireflies

From sunset bright
Through moonlit night
The fireflies
Of summer skies...


Delight, surprise,
And tease the eyes
With twinkling lights
In aimless flights…


As creatures slight
Reveal their plight:
Despite the night,
To shine with might…


It’s quite a sight
That seems so right
When Christmas lights
July ignite

- Bonnie Manion


Fireflies in the Garden

Here come real stars to fill the upper skies,
And here on earth come emulating flies,
That though they never equal stars in size,
(And they were never really stars at heart)
Achieve at times a very star-like start.
Only, of course, they can't sustain the part.


- Robert Frost

6 comments:

Marcie said...

Fireflies are truly magical. I was in my twenties before I saw them in life for the first time.

Wishing so badly we could figure out how to breed them here. It makes me sad to know that my kids don't get to experience them as part of their childhood.

However, I sure don't miss that humidity.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Sorry, that was me that deleted that last comment. It's late and didn't make much sense. Here's what it said.

I love fireflies. Would you believe I'd never seen a firefly (that I remember) until my mission in Brazil. I was walking in a street one evening, and the whole field was lit up. I had no idea what they were. My companion tried to tell me, but of course I didn't know the word in portuguese. When I got home that evening, I had to look it up in the dictionary. That's how I knew they were lightning bugs. What a beautiful sight. I've only seen one little firefly since then, and believe it or not, it was in Utah. Down around the SF area. One little tiny firefly was wandering alone in a big open field. I'll never forget my two encounters with one of God's most beautiful creatures.

Marcie said...

So surprised about the fireflies in Utah. It makes me wonder if there are some here by the lake (definitely a marshy area) .

Let me know if you make a late night expedition while you are in Utah...the boys and I would LOVE to join you.

Sue said...

I totally remember how hot it was when we were helping Paul and Kara move to Ky in the middle of July. It's starting to get really hot here too. However, I know the humidity is a whole other story. Even though it's just breaking 90 here, it seems warmer then usual because the spring was about 25 degrees colder this year.

I actually feel bad that my kids don't get to experience having fireflies. I think they are one of the coolest bugs ever! I remember being so mesmerized by them when I went to NJ when I was about 12. It was the first time I had ever seen them. My two little bug catchers are definitely missing out. Love the poems and the pictures.

Marcie said...

Okay, check out this link http://www.burger.com/ffreput.htm

My Great Grandpa lives in the marshes of Brigham City and my parents live about 10 minutes away from Plain City.

I think Hayden and I have just discovered this summer's insect quest.