Thursday, June 19, 2008

Red River Gorge: Gray's Arch

Our friends the Badgers have talked about Red River Gorge for ages and we've been dying to go down with them. Eric loves climbing there and there are too many trails and hikes to count. Since they are leaving us in a WEEK to move back west (I'm dying!), we knew it was now or never. Man, I would have been so disappointed if it hadn't worked out. I didn't know what I was missing!We went on Monday night, just two hours after Rich and I flew in from New Orleans. It was an hour drive south and east from Lexington.The scenery was gorgeous. It reminded me of driving through a canyon in Utah, but one where the trees were on 'steroids' as Rich put it. There was so much vegetation and various shades of green.The Badgers chose a hike called Gray's Arch. They had never done that one before.The kids were ready to go!I was just trying to keep them close by!The hike started out flat and sunny.Sadie found a box turtle, but we set it free after everyone got to touch it.We started our slow descent toward the arch.Josh and TreyMattWe started to get deeper into the forest.Rich and KaitlynMe and Brynn below the arch. We had to climb up a steep, small trail passing boulders, trees and roots up to the arch. It was magnificent.
(Shots from below, looking up)We all made it!The boys under the arch. It was simply breathtaking.We climbed safely down, dripped sweat while we climbed up the massive sets of stairs and had such a great time visiting while we made it back to the van.
What a night!!

5 comments:

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

I have never been there befor but have heard so much about it. I'm going to stick it on our "to do" list for this year..
It looks really cool
Melissa

Sally said...

We spent a weekend there with Josh and Tiff and had loads of fun! Glad you had a great time- can't wait to hear about your trip!

Marcie said...

W spent a weekend there.....with, was it the Hamiltons? Now I'm not sure. How sad is that?

It was great, however, camping in KY is not as....um....great as UT.

I love your detailed documentation. Feels like I've been there with you.

Jen said...

How much fun that all looks! Sounds like you had a great time. What a beautiful place! It is always so fun when all of your friends move away isn't it? Several of my good friends have just moved and a few more move next year at this time. Our residency is one of the longer ones so we will be here while everyone else is finishing up. You guys are so close Cheryl! I am excited for you. I love summer!!

kara jayne said...

What a great little excursion! I wish we would've taken advantage of more of those things when we lived there. I have a whole list of things to do when we get back!