Friday, May 1, 2009

Fly away....

My baby robins left their nest this week. I took a peek on them on Tuesday night through the cracks in our deck floor and all three babies were still snug, yet completely crammed, in their home.

Early Wednesday morning while watering my flower baskets in the backyard, I saw a hop and flutter after my presence startled one and knew I was looking at one of my babies that had just taken flight. I grabbed my camera and over the next hour waited and watched as Momma and Daddy bird flew to each of their offspring with breakfast fast between their beaks. It's an moving thing to witness. First, because these little ones are so new and just learning about the world and yet they are forced to make their way in a scary environment. (I was not loving the fact there dogs outside in both of our neighboring yards!)
Second, even though the baby birds were found in my yard and in the yard behind our house, they weren't totally alone. I loved hearing the deep coo from the parents calling to their own. The babies would respond in a high pitched call and the mom or dad would swoop in and stand next to them, or bring them nourishment. While they must have felt scared and overwhelmed (at least that is how I felt for them....), they still were being watched over and loved.
And third, because two days later I have spotted at least two of my sweet babies and their increased alertness and increased flying capabilities were astounding.

They just need that nudge out of the safety of the nest to realize their potential and eventual ability to take flight.
Don't we all need that in our life.

Someone who helps us see what we can become, gives a little nudge in the right direction, pushes out of our comfort zone and will be there to love and support us while we practice, learn and grow.

I do.

And I love that I can be reminded of this lesson through two doting birds and their three sweet babies.
Baby OneBaby TwoBaby Three

2 comments:

Marcie said...

Okay, you should work for National Geographic. What amazing pics. I can't believe you caught the mom feeding the baby.

Kristi said...

Man you're cute. I love how you love your little baby birds and worry about the things. The photos are awesome! I too think you should work for National Geographic.