Sunday, May 17, 2009

Vancouver, B.C.

Rich was up before sunrise, 4:30 AM to be precise, packed and ready to head off to Canada to present a case and display a poster at the annual neuroradiology conference held this year in Vancouver, British Columbia.

He sweetly went along with my photo shoot of his display last night and I am grateful for that. He showed the poster to the boys and explained the images before we tucked them into bed. He said they should be careful not to touch it though, as it was part of his ticket into the conference. I thought that was cute.

Rich worked closely with one of his attendings, Dr. Given, on the poster and on the case over the past few months. Rich will present his case (power point, lecture, questions) on Tuesday and he hung the poster up in the conference center when they arrived this afternoon. While he did go over his presentation with me on the computer before he left, I can't explain it like he can. It has to do with osteonecrosis, Kummell's disease, kyphoplasty and vertebra fractures. Intense stuff, that only partially understand.

I wish I could be there to watch him present, like I was in New Orleans, but this baby put a stop to that. I did happily remind him (or maybe, tell him) not to worry, we'll be back there in a few years when we take the family on an Alaskan Cruise. He laughed over the phone at this statement, but I know he was wise enough to take me seriously.

Luckily, he didn't head to Vancouver alone. A first year radiology resident, Andersen Grigg, who is in our ward and lives in our neighborhood had a poster accepted as well, so they carpooled to the airport, traveled on the same flights and are staying the same hotel. It will be great to have a familiar face and friend to share the next few days with.

WE LOVE YOU RICH! Good luck and know our thoughts, prayers, hugs and kisses will be directed northwest until you return on Wednesday night!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Now, I' going to be worried that the posters make it okay on the flight without being bent.....what a lot of work.

Can we join you on the Alaskan cruise? I WILL take my kids to see grizzly bears in the wild.