Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Garland of Roses

"The Garland of Roses" has come to symbolize the Kentucky Derby throughout the world. It is 122 inches long, 22 inches wide and weight approximately 40 lbs. The lining is made of deep green moire bengaline and features the great seal of the Commonwealth of Kentucky embroidered on one end and Churchill Downs Event Mark on the other.

More than 400 "Freedom" roses are placed on the garland. Each stem is inserted into its own water vial hidden inside the garland backing, all carefully sewn into place. The roses are framed with a hand-made border of boxwood, camellia and coffee leaves. Custom-made ribbons are tied to the fronds at each end and to the crown of roses at the center.

The final step in the crafting the garland is to place a crown of roses, greenery and ribbons at the center- one rose for each thoroughbred running in the Derby race. A special rose is placed in the center of the arrangement to symbolize the struggle and heart necessary to reach the Winner's Circle.

Upon winning the Kentucky Derby, the jockey is presented with the "Jockey's Bouquet" which is made of 60 matching long stem roses and wrapped with ten yards of red ribbon, and the winning horse is adorned with "The Garland of Roses."
Continuing a tradition that started with the 113th Kentucky Derby, Kroger Master designers are honored to meet at 4 PM on the Friday before the running of the Derby, to begin creating "The Garland of Roses."We arrived at 7:15 PM. Truth be told, the line would have been an hour wait as it snaked from the front of the store to the back. But we were with Kristi, and she is well, Kristi- assertive, aggressive and NEVER afraid to get what she wants. We had dinner reservations at 8:30 PM. I certainly was not capable of standing for over an hour, so we followed her lead and went straight to the back, where the garland was being made. It wasn't that hard as it was located next to the conditioner and milk products. The second I saw the roses, I pushed us forward and got a bird's eye view of the action. I also didn't care to make any eye contact with those surrounding us who HAD waited in the Disneyland-long line. Rich said if looks could kill, then Kristi and I would have died on the spot. But I didn't know it. No one said a thing. Except Todd who said I looked like "An Asian tourist snapping pictures." Sounded like a perfect fit for my behavior. We got our photos, flyers, pins and then I insisted we all make our way DOWN the line to snap photos of the trophy and get the much desired rose petals. Yes, I was shameless, but everyone was happy to tag along. And we were out in 20 minutes. Not to shabby. Not at all! The boys weren't to thrilled with this the idea of coming, but as we left everyone loved every last second and I couldn't have dreamed a lovelier thing to see than the beautiful Garland there right before our eyes.
"For 135 years the eyes of the nation have turned toward the Bluegrass on the first Saturday in May... for 135 years Churchill Downs has summoned the nation.. has summoned America to join in the celebration of one of the grandest of all her traditions.

For 135 years we have joined the grand lady of racing for one shining moment in the sun... a moment when all Kentuckians and all Americans have felt touched by the petals of a rose... by that circle of burning red."
-Kroger

3 comments:

Sally said...

I am sooo green with envy right now! So happy that you got to go. Personally, I am very happy that you snap picts like an Asian tourist because we want ALL of the details.

Can I steal some of your photos? You captured it perfectly.

Also, thanks for the rundown on the field. Cannot wait to watch it {even if we are alone this year!}

Happy Derby Day to you!

Marcie said...

We went earlier in the afternoon (like 4:30?). There was a line, but I think I kind of ignored it also :)

Kristi said...

Cheryl Jackson you are a blogging superstar. I haven't even THOUGHT about loading the photos off my camera....and you ARE a Japanese tourist. I'm glad my line cutting skills were useful. I like Marcie's way of putting it though - i just "ignored" it. :)