Saturday, May 31, 2008

Memorial Day

I have always felt Memorial Day is a very wonderful holiday because gives us a special day to remember those loved ones who have passed on. So much of who we are and what we have become is a direct result of previous generations. This day also gives us a chance to honor brave and valiant men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice of their own life for our country and freedom. I love going to the graves when we are home and have been lucky to have been visiting Utah over Memorial Day twice in the eight years we have lived in Kentucky (2005 and 2006). We always visit the Evergreen cemetery in Springville where my many of my dad's family members have been laid to rest. Grandpa Nance who died of a brain tumor during my sophomore year of high school, my dad's little sister Janice who died from meningitis when she was 11 months old, his other sister Janene who was killed by a drunk driver in 2003 and my cousin Tyson who was stillborn are all buried there, as well as some of my relatives on the Larsen side. It is a beautiful place that brings peace to those who pay their respects. We visit East Lawn Memorial Hills Cemetery in Provo, Utah where Rich's Grandpa Jackson is buried. He was a remarkable man that I had the pleasure to know for many years. What a blessing it has been for my children to at one point have 12 grandparents alive- all that were married to their first spouse. What a legacy they put forth for us to follow. We were not in Utah this Memorial Day so visiting our loved ones was not possible, but we did think about them during the day.Our holiday this year started out a bit slow since Rich was on call Saturday night and got home around 10 AM Monday morning. After a bit of food he was off to bed. Once the girls went down for a nap I took the boys over to our pool and we all nearly froze to death in the 60 degree water. The only way I stayed in was because I was numb from my neck down. Rich needed his rest so we could head to the Hamilton's home in Louisville at 3:00 PM for a goodbye BBQ for the Madsen's. Yes, someone that has been in school here in Kentucky just like us is FINALLY done with residency! Congrats Josh! After Todd and Kristi gave us grief about always being late (they were joking, but it is totally true) we arrived in Louisville and found that we were the second family there. It was a proud moment for me!! There was great friend, food and fun from the moment we arrived until sundown and then some. McKay just couldn't get enough of Kristi's delicious cooking.The girls LOVED the bouncy toys. Brynn's face says it all. I think I should get one of those things soon!Lacey (who's due with baby #4 in a month) and Tiffany under Todd's elaborate tarp contraption on the back deck. We were supposed to have a major storm pass through that evening, but since Todd spent at least an hour rigging this thing to the gutter and the fence, all we got were some light sprinkles. Figures.Big and little Josh.Rich and Josh have been friends for EIGHTEEN YEARS! Since we do live in Kentucky a fierce game of corn hole was in order. I've seen people play this thing for years and never thought it looked that fun. Obviously I hadn't play it myself. It was awesome! We are going to have to get a set of our own.Brynn got up close for the action.It was Josh and Ryan (the Californians) against Todd and Rich (the Utahans).Nice form Rich.Guess which team got the victory?The girls were up next. It was Kristi and me and against the Madsen girls.Kristi got the kids started playing red rover and Todd was a saint and played duck duck goose with the kids so the moms could play.Tiffany and I cheered our teammates on. Yes, we are dorks, but it was fun. And no we didn't hurt ourselves either. (Kristi and I won- woo hoo!)Kristi worked her dog magic and charmed Kaitlyn to touch their newest foster dog Jackson. That was a miracle.The Kentucky Madsens: Cynthia, Tyler, Tiffany and Josh.Much to my Josh's delight he finally played a game of corn hole with his brothers and Keenan. I don't think he would have gotten in the van if he didn't get a chance to play.After Ty and Cynthia and the Williams said good night, we just couldn't pull ourselves away. Sure is was a school night and it was well past 10 PM, but it was one of those magical nights that you didn't want to see come to an end. It's hard to believe our original Louisville gang is down to the Hamiltons. Where have the past eight years gone? Fast!
We love you Josh and Tiffany. Thanks for all the memories and here's to a lifetime more!!! Best wishes in California. I promise we'll come and see you as soon as we can. Like in three years. Promise.

3 comments:

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Holy flexibility!! I'm impressed LOL!!
I've never even heard of corn hole... I'll have to google it.

Marcie said...

I've never heard of corn hole either. Melissa and I must not be hanging out with the right crowd :)

I got a little choked up reading about the farewell to the Madsen's party. It seems like yesterday you threw our farewell to the Alcorn's party. There may be no one left to throw you one so we'll just have to host a big welcome home to the Jacksons one in a few years.

Why is it that Tiffany has perfect form in every action shot?

Great play by play in pictures. We sure miss you all. Even more after having been there so recently.

Tiffany said...

Thank you for making the huge effort to come on Monday! We had such a great time. We can't believe it's really our turn this time. I agree with Marcie -- we'll have to throw you a welcome home party (even if we have to travel to Utah for it!).

I'm trying to take pictures of families in front of their homes -- do you have one you can email me of your family? I'm following Marcie's idea -- I hope to eventually make a Kentucky memory book.