Monday, May 26, 2008

Cincinnati Zoo

I would consider myself a zoo lover. I have been to a few different ones over the years and I seem to love each one. Of course nearly all of my zoo trips have either been to Hogel Zoo in Salt Lake City, Utah or the Louisville Zoo here in Kentucky, but last week my friend Jonni had a brillant idea to take the kids to the Cincinnati Zoo on Tuesday, May 20 because the kids in Kentucky were out of school for the election. I said PERFECT! I had always wanted to go, but needed an excuse.








It's just under a two hour drive and my Louisville Zoo pass got us in for half price. The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is consistently ranked as one of the top zoos in the country. It opened in 1875, it is the nation’s second oldest zoo and a national historic landmark. The Zoo’s 75 acres house 510 animal species and 3,000 plant varieties. Over 1.2 million people visit the Zoo annually. The only bad part was that Josh and Matt had a baseball game at 5:45 PM and needed to be at the ball park at 5 PM. We got up to zoo at 1 PM, so that meant we had exactly 2 hours to see the place. Jonni and another family from our ward the Powell's came up a bit later, but we didn't get to spend much time with them because I was determined to see it all. I could have been more social, but my kids were ready to run here and there and check off every building on the map, so thanks Jonni and Nancy for being so understanding of our hurried visit!The girls were angel babies and stayed happily in their stroller the WHOLE time. Such sweeties!


We checked out the Jungle Trails.


The polar bears


The cat house


I loved this gorgeous bright orange bird from Brazil.Looks like the boys got a bit too friendly with this little creature and became his lunch!Checkin' out the penguins.Sumatran Rhinos- mother and baby.
Kaitlyn didn't appreciate that this goat shared the same love for her blanket!Josh and Trey checking out the elephants.
The gorilla enclosure was amazing!A baby gorilla
Siegfried & Roy's White Lions of TimbavatiThankfully Matt thought taking pictures of all the cool things in the gift shop would be almost as fun as buying them. Good idea!


Poor Trey just got a bit too close!


So if you are ever in or around Cincinnati, check out their zoo. It will be well worth your time!

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I always wondered about that Zoo. What very cool exhibits. We'll have to check it out if we are in town.

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Someone told me once that they didn't like the cinci zoo so we have never been.. We are going to go have to check it out now..
The Indy zoo is really cool, if you are "collecting" them..