Monday, May 12, 2008

Being Mom

A man's work is from sun to sun, but a mother's work is never done.

I have to admit that related to these these two comics today- wishing for either ending to happen. But we all know that wouldn't be the case with Rich on call and me sharing the house with 5 wiggly, messy and busy little kids.

Knowing I had a huge task of cleaning up the house after a long rainy Sunday, I put the boys to bed with hopes of a quick story and hug good night at 9 PM. But that wasn't the game they wanted to play. Of course they didn't want to be fast and efficient and girls refused to stay out of my shoes, bags and toiletries. The minutes soon became an hour and they were still awake by 10 PM. The book was put away unopened because the boys refused to stay in bed and finally I said a quick prayer and just said no more! I had enough of chasing kids around all day.

I left the hall light on trying to advert any stray children from exiting their bed to come and see what I was doing I headed down to the 'war zone'. Just as we were heading up for bed, I found Brynn with the huge Sam's Club syrup container trying to add more sweet stuff onto her Eggo waffle. Key words here: trying and more. Lots more, like a full cup. And no, it didn't end up on the plate. It went between the cupboard and the range. It was oozing from the counter and leaking out from under the stove. Lovely. Once that mess was contained, I headed to the basement to inspect the damage of the day and spied orange diet Crush spilled all over the carpet. I was glad the kids weren't around so they didn't get the wrath of me. As I walked into the bathroom to get the carpet cleaner solution and Spot Shot, I found rolls of toilet paper on the ground and a toilet that needed to be plunged. So much for an easy, relaxing night. Thankfully the plunger was close by and my Hoover zapped the orange mess in seconds flat. No harm done in all the disasters and yet I wasn't pleased with myself. I wasn't happy that the house was tidy. I wasn't proud that I got it all done in less than a hour, plus swept the floor, laid out the backpacks, did the dishes and vacuumed all the Cheetos off the carpet.

I had let my perfect day with my kids come to a crashing halt because I didn't follow through to the end. After all the cards and chocolate and sweet notes I had failed to see the big picture. I had let Josh fall asleep in tears because I was too worried about the syrup on the linoleum and the pile of clothes on my closet floor. I had shooed Matt to bed when he asked if he could help me clean because I needed to be alone. I had let a precious memory of a happy night slip through my sticky fingers because...... well, because being a mom isn't always roses and candies, even on the day when you get those two things. Because sometimes it is a rough job and I'm down doing the dirty work after they are dreaming of a happy tomorrow. Because I get tired and run down and need a break and when I finally sit I find new messes waiting for me when I return.

So while I wish I could have changed today's ending and topped it off with a nice happy tale with the boys, I realized even more that it's up to the mom to set the pace and tone of the home. I'm the one that keeps things moving or slows things down. In the end I'm the one that makes the spilled milk a negative thing or just plain uneventful. Sure, I couldn't leave this evenings messes unattended, but they could have waited a few more minutes so I could at least get in a few kisses and hugs. And surely 10 PM isn't quite the time to be starting a story. I need to direct them towards bed at an earlier hour and give them the time they need and allow for a few extra minutes to be read to. I just need to have a plan and see it through. When I'm not going in the right direction pushing them to stay on task, what normal child wouldn't try to push the envelope, especially when we're talking about going to bed.

As I thought while I cleaned and typed, I've found peace through it all because tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow I can give them a huge hug and a kiss on the cheek and tell them I'll read that story when they get home from school. We can share the load after school and catch up on chores that need to be done together. They know I love them and it's not because I simply say the words. They know that I adore them because I clean their clothes, tie their shoes, make them lunch, cut their hair, give them rides, practice their spelling, tickle their bellies, tell them secrets, bring them treats home from the store, make ice cream sundaes together and simply because I'm their mother. They are and forever will be mine and I'll be theirs. Motherhood is a gift and job and blessing all wrapped into one. And while it is busy and demanding, it brings me the most joy and contentment I've ever known. My children do appreciate me and what I do and so does Rich. I just need to slow down, pace myself and enjoy the journey. All of it!

1 comment:

angela said...

Boy, you're great with words! That was a great post Cheryl. Amen!