Thursday, May 8, 2008

Spring Concert

The boys had their VPE Spring Chorus Concert on May 8 at 6:30 PM. We avoided some near baseball disasters by our steady downpour of rain that went on all day and into the night. All the boys had games at 5:45 PM and with Rich at the hospital I was going to have to take all of them to the ball park, let them play for 25 minutes and then rush them over to the school while they changed clothes in the van and be in their places by 6:20 PM. Just thinking about that kind of chaos made my stomach churn. My prayers and pleadings were answered and both games were canceled. This concert was a big deal since it was Josh and Matt's one and only of the year and they have been practicing every Monday morning from 7:30- 8:05 AM since September. Trey preformed at Christmas, but he practiced every Monday after school until 3:05 PM had even stayed after school every day this week until 4 PM preparing their routines. It was a night not to be missed.The Lower Primary Chorus (Kindergartner and first graders). Josh was on the far left, Matt was on the far right. Not too good for video taping, but we managed.
Matt front and centerJosh second row from the top. They sang The Star Spangled Banner, My Old Kentucky Home, You're a Grand Old Flag, Yankee Doodle, This Land is Your Land, This is My Country and Do-Re-Mi. I had no idea what songs they would be preforming and when the tune of My Old Kentucky Home rang out I got a bit misty eyed. Of course it made me think of being at the Derby just days before, but what really touched me was listened and watching two of my boys sing about this wonderful place we have been able to live in for many years and knowing that one day our Kentucky home and friends will just be a memory. It made me grateful for the next two years here in Lexington.The girls were so good. My boys never would have sit so still next to my side. These two are my angel babies.Next up: The Upper Primary Chorus (second and third graders). Trey informed me that when you are in 3rd grade you can choose to either be a dance (100% girls), or a soloist or an instrumentalist (100% boys). I wasn't surprised when he told me he's going to be an instrumentalist next year. The dancers are in red, the drummers are on the stage and the second graders are in the blue shirts standing. All of their songs were from High School Musical 2 (which I have not seen in its entirety yet).
They sang What Time Is It?, I Don't Dance- where they had this big baseball game sequence with players, cheerleaders and fans, Music in Me and All For One. I loved all of Trey's dance moves. The kid has got rhythm.
It was very fun to see the kids get so into it. I think everyone in the audience had a smile on their face while they tapped their feet to the music and sang along to the tunes. OK, maybe that was just me, but it still was a great production.Trey and one of his best friends Sammy. Trey went to his house after school before the concert and was in heaven. It was the first time he has even gone to play alone at some one's house here in Lexington. That's what happens when you have 2 brothers and a cul-de-sac of kids just outside your door.

My little bunch. I love these guys! Great job boys!

No comments: