Monday, May 12, 2008

Little Happy Moments

We have a robin nest under or deck in the back yard. Weeks ago I spied 4 bright blue eyes inside. Soon there were 4 tiny, fuzzy and weak new little birds.

Not long after that there were 4 bird piled on top of each other waiting for the day they would be strong enough to leave the nest. And then it happened. I checked on them and there were only three. After a quick scan of the ground it seems that all was well. A few hours later I checked and there was only one. It stayed in the nest alone that night. I hoped it would have a safe departure the next morning. And yes it did. As I peeked through the door, a thrill of joy washed over me as I saw one of our baby robins on the deck, its soft fuzz still visible on its head. It's tummy was white with a hint of orange on the edges. It was beautiful.It moved it wings and flew down to the neighbor's tree. As I watched in wonder, the mother bird found her baby and flew next to it on the tree bringing it worms and what I'm guessing was some needed moral support since the baby was so new to the world outside of the nest.What a sight to see. I have had many bird families fly away, but I have never been privileged to see them together after they left their home. I stood there mesmerized with the mom and baby listening to the mom's cluck and the baby respond. It was moving. Then she flew to the ground where I saw baby #2 on my back lawn. She again moved in close, brought worms and stood by its side before she flew to the fence where she cooed to her babies. It was touching.Baby #1 had moved from the tree to the fence and she again returned with food and some love. What remarkable thing it was to see. How this bond of mother and child was still strong. How the mother could find her babies and teach them the ways of life. I decided it was my miracle of the day. And one I will never forget.

1 comment:

Laura F said...

Our next-door neighbors in Saint Louis had a robin's nest under their deck much like yours, but for reasons completely unknown to myself decided after the baby birds hatched that they were through and didn't want them anymore. They knocked the nest down, and I watched horrified from our yard (no fences) as the little baby birds struggled to make it across the unhospitable yard to the woods behind our home, where who knows that fate befell them because they obviously were too small to fly. I was so mad! I have to admit, although they were good neighbors, I never thought the same of them again. It's so fun you saw your little birds fly away!