Monday, May 26, 2008

Fort Boonesborough

Trey's school class had gone to visit Fort Boonesborough in the fall and I had wondered where had went and what he got to see. When our ward's play group sent out an email saying they were planning a trip to see the fort, I was all for it. It is only about a 30 minute drive south on I-75 and the fort is located in Fort Boonesboro State Park.Kaitlyn and Brynn were ready too.When Daniel Boone and his men reached the Kentucky River on April 1, 1775, they quickly moved to establish Kentucky's second settlement--the site still known as Fort Boonesborough.Fort Boonesborough has been reconstructed as a working fort complete with cabins, blockhouses and furnishings. Resident artisans perform craft demonstrations and give modern-day visitors a true sense of what life was like for pioneers in Kentucky. Outside wallsInside the fort there are shops and cabins and they have a small farm in the middle.The fire pit for cooking.This fellow showed us how he made nails. He is dressed like 1780's blacksmith.This woman spins wool while this one makes rugs on a loom from the 1800's.The town folk cooked up some biscuits and gravy for lunch (the girls and I just hit Wendy's on the way home.)There was a house where candles were made.
The top candles have been dipped 50 times. There also was a small museum, movie and other cabins that contained pottery, wood carvings, furnishings and beds and a small store.

Walking through the fort, made me appreciate even more to be living today. I couldn't imagine a world where working to provide for your basic necessities would take up every waking moment and bit of energy you possessed. What a blessing it is that we are now the recipients of technology and inventions that came about from the past way and discoveries these pioneers.

2 comments:

Marcie said...

What a cool place. I never made it there, but heard about it.

It reminds me of Squire Boone Caverns. Have you ever been there? It's very cool. Squire was Daniel Boone's brother. He found a set of awesome underground caves one time when he was being chased by indians. He is now buried there and you can take tours of the caves and then go to demonstrations around outside. Like candle dipping, panning for gold etc. My boys would love it. It is just across the river from Louisville in Indiana.

Cheryl said...

I too have been to Squire Booone Caverns. You gave me the info about that place when we were teaching school. I took my family there when they came out to visit us during Rich's 3rd year of medical school. It was AWESOME and it totally reminded me of Fort Boonesborough. I thought about that place while we visited the fort. All it needed was that secret entrance in the gift shop leading down to the cool casket in the cave!